Author Topic: 66 Fastback with a 67 Color Code?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline 66fastback

66 Fastback with a 67 Color Code?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I want to thank Jeff and Charles for starting up this forum.  I used to eagerly follow their posts on one of the "other" websites, and I'm just now catching up.

I have a 66 Dearborn Fastback (63B with F9 trim) with a build date of August 9th and a color code of E7.  Are there any good guesses as to how many cars were ordered with a following year color option?  Also, does anyone know at what point in the production run this option was offered?

Thanks for any information.  I look forward to learning from all the knowledgable people on this forum.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Fastback with a 67 Color Code?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »
First welcome and you can thank Randy (Slug go) for setting up the site and taking care of the details. We're all window dressing and all you others are the important people.

To the question. Seen a fair amount of these (66's) through the years. IMHO 66 seems the year with the most of what was basically early releases (availability) of the next years colors.

Looking at Smart & Haskell's Mustang Production guide I see that there were a number of examples collected in that effort. Earliest projected build date listed in the book from Dearborn  is June 20Th - a coupe. I found 26 examples listed - two are the E7  like yours. 

Of course this is only a small portion of the total production during the year. and there are no records that I'm aware of that would tell us how many were really built.

Hope this helps a little and again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 Fastback with a 67 Color Code?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, we don't have any paint production stats for pre-'67 cars.  The Smart/Haskell production guide makes note that they documented a car as early as Feb '66 with a '67 paint code.  Really aren't very many listed in that reference, just a handful.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin