Author Topic: Phosphate & Oil Finish  (Read 9564 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Phosphate & Oil Finish
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:41:20 AM »
I need to go over and touch up the Phosphate & Oil finished parts on my '65, and am seeking suggestions as to what to use and how to apply it.
I am told that my restorer originally used torn-off pieces of very very fine steel wool and grear oil.
I have also been told by others to just use plain motor oil.
I know absolutely nothing about this finish but understand that it needs to be gone over about once a year, and I want to do it right.
Whatever I use would I just leave it on or wipe it off after its been on for some time? Thanks!

Offline DTruitt

Re: Phosphate & Oil Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
I use militec about once a year.  I put it on a gun patch or rag and rub it in.  As you can see from the web site it has a lot of uses.

http://www.militec-1.com/

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Boeshield T9 rust preventer is what I use and recomend to others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
I did some looking and choose Corrosion X - Similar to the Bioshield

http://www.buycorrosionx.com/index.php?app=ccp1&ns=display&ref=splash&sid=857fl6783d57dwgnkyfw90tz57586596

NOTE POSTED 12/2016:
Be aware that this product can have a negative affect on rubber products. Something that has been noticed over long term usage

Went with the standard stuff since I wanted a thin film product rather than a heavy or thick film

I heat (just a little) up the part first to assure that all moisture is gone and to open the pores to help the metal soak up the product. Wipe it or soak it.  Makes touching up allot easier than clear coating
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:50:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
T9 +1

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:01 AM »
OK, Thanks for the replies.
My car is all assembled and complete, my restorer used gear oil and small torn off pieces of 0000 steel wool to apply I am told.
They told me that I should go over and re-apply once per year and having no experiance with this I just need to know if this is the right way to do it or need a better suggestion, the gear oil stinks to high hell so I think I'm going to use plain, clean, unused motor oil as Charles has suggested.
I still am unclear as to if I should apply it and leave it on (thin coat) or wipe it off after a day or so and if the steel wool is the best way to apply it or if there is something better-some have said that steel wool can leave particles that will rust if left behind....

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
I only use regular oil as part of the oiling process on freshly coated phosphate parts.  The oil permeates into the surface of the part.  I would not recommend using regular oil to coat them later on as it will attract dust and leave a greasy residue in the areas around your bolts.  The products that the other folks have mentioned are much more suitable. 

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
I would suggest using one of the rust inhibitor specialty products mentioned and a tee shirt type rag. I agree to steel wool will leave unwanted residue and the motor oil or gear oil at this point in the process will be inferior (as Charles mentioned) to any of the specialty rust inhibitor products mentioned here IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Redline

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
To renew the appearence of phospate & oil fasteners I spray some WD40 into a small paper Dixie cup & apply the WD40 to the fasteners with a Q-tip. For larger parts spray some on a rag & wipe. WD40 was formulated to prevent rust & corrosion for the aerospace industry.
MCA# 52738
Certified National Judge 1964 1/2-1966 Mustang

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
WD-40 sounds good to me......I have no idea as to where to purchase the T-9 stuff that has been suggested.....(Thanks for all the replies and opinions-I apperciate it!)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
I have no idea as to where to purchase the T-9 stuff that has been suggested
http://www.boeshield.com/
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »
Thanks for the link!!!

Offline ajd350

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Does the T-9 leave any visible residue, or does it blend in well?
MCA #2254

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 03:02:57 PM »
It is clear . If you spray it on and then wipe it off the excess it drys clear and is dry to the touch while providing protection. That is what I do. It will look like nothing is on a bare metal part.  A heaver coat will dry thicker and stay a little tacky which is OK depending on the area you are protecting. If you read the info on the website it will explain the different application techniques. Just my experience.Bob 

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
To renew the appearence of phospate & oil fasteners I spray some WD40 into a small paper Dixie cup & apply the WD40 to the fasteners with a Q-tip. For larger parts spray some on a rag & wipe. WD40 was formulated to prevent rust & corrosion for the aerospace industry.

I'm not sure on WD-40 !  WHile easy to get, use -it seems to ATTRACT moisture AFTER A WHILE !   Have seen this on cut crank which are raw - but in the case of P/O I would be concerned.

Mark
P.S.  It's kind of like incect spray , never had a pest problem until sprayed !  It's like it converts to sugar in two months needing another aplication, and so on ........
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969