Author Topic: 65 short console  (Read 2729 times)

Offline e093116

65 short console
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
I have an original standard console core I would like to cut down to make a short console for an air conditioning car and have had a hard time finding out where to make the cut.

Car is a 65.  Does anyone have any pictures or guidance worth sharing?

Thanks in advance.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 short console
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »
Cut tons of these over the years (back in the 80's I sold hundreds of early consoles to support my habit - cars)

Turn the console over and you will normally find a mold joint forward of the shift hole. I normally made the cut approx 1/3" forward of that line.

Think there is a TSB article on cutting these - for the dealers - but don't have it handy at the moment
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:12:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline e093116

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
Jeff, thank you for the fast response.

I looked underneath the console and noticed a stiffening rib (with a threaded hole to mount a clip to retain the harness) immediately forward of the shifter hole and 3/4" or so forward of that is what I believe to be the mold line you are referring to.  It looks to me like this was some sort of parting line for the mold and there is even some flash still present on this line.

Can you please confirm that we are on the same page and also let me know if I am correct in the assumption that the shifter plate and console plate also need to be cut at this line...

Thanks again.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
Just an opinion here but if you have an original long length console I would perhaps keep it and try and find the shorter console.  I hear those are very hard to come by and can be sold for a lot of money.  I would maybe try and sell it and use the money from that to buy a console for air, especially if it is original.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline $64stang

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
I agree with kept the long console.
And looking for a short AC one.
A template is out for cutting a coupe console down to fit the convertible And it has the cut line for the AC cut line on it to.
the chrome trim piece is different from 65' to 66' of course.

Another little thing, the screws that hold the wiring harness (under the console) are away in great shape and can be used to hold the plate around the hood latch. to the grille support. FYI
Jake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
Can you please confirm that we are on the same page and also let me know if I am correct in the assumption that the shifter plate and console plate also need to be cut at this line...

Sorry had to go down to the warehouse to find a cut one

Note the arrow showing the relief or line that I was referring to. As mentioned I normally cut approx 1/4" forward of that You can then match up the top trim and shift plate, mark and cut those to match. Remember to install a screw to hold down the shift plate at the front edge - where it will be hidden by the trim piece that will cover all these cuts

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline e093116

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the photo.

I got a good deal on the console I'm going to cut because the glove box area was damaged.

For once it is nice to be able to get rid of a bad area and not have to repair/replace it.