Author Topic: Trunk interior colour - 65 Dearborn  (Read 2054 times)

Offline cobraboy

Trunk interior colour - 65 Dearborn
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »
How is the inside of the trunk painted?
I believe it is body colour, but at the moment I have black inside the rear fenders, with body colour wheel housings is this correct?
The car is 1965 April 13th Dearborn Fastback Rangoon red / red std interior.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:23:46 PM by J_Speegle »
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk interior colour
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:25:44 AM »
Seams would be sealed and sound deadener applied to the inner surface of the rear quarter panels at the start.

You would have the trunk lid attached (so all the mounting bolts and hinges in place) quarter extensions in place (though spaced outward using something other than the final nuts)  And (if so equipped) the rear bumper brackets in place so the bolt heads exposed in the trunk would be there also.

Over all of this the exterior color would be applied. No great effort (so little or to some overspray depending on surrounding panels) was made to cover the bottoms of the rear package tray and  or the quarter panels.  A nice finish coat was applied to all visible surfaces, and its not uncommon IMHO to find a run on the bottom of the trunk lid or on one of the wheel tubs  - just happened

Guessing that you have a 65 or 66 fastback  so here are a few examples

Note that the blue fastback apparently had its trap door hinges replaced at some point  as well as a little paint touch up on the drivers side. You can see the overspray on the back side of the interior trim panels that should be an off white on the trunk side

Hope these help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobraboy

Re: Trunk interior colour
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
Jeff
Thank you for the detailed reply.
I have included the date now. The blue fastback looks pretty much like what I have.
Now I know what to paint in which colour I will be able to carry out the work as soon as I can get the correct paint.
The interior paint is proving to be a real problem.
Regards Mark
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.