Author Topic: Are 68-69 Shelby's actually Shelby's?  (Read 236 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Are 68-69 Shelby's actually Shelby's?
« on: April 14, 2024, 07:35:27 PM »
The title may be a little confusing, but I'm having a discussion with a guy who claims that the 68/69 Shelby's are actually just Ford Mustangs. After showing him my title that has for the Make as "SHEB" He states:

"The state title says Shelby. It does not say it was manufactured by Shelby American. All Shelbys produced after 1967, when Carrol Shelby had a fallout with Ford Motor Company were produced by Ford. This is why I say the 68, 69 and 70's that carry the name Shelby are really just Ford Mustangs and not true Shelbys."

I know CS was not happy with the direction the Shelby Mustang was going for 1968, but Shelby American had a contract with Ford through the 1969 model year. Instead of the Mustang being converted at SA @ LAX, they were converted at A.O. Smith. Was it SA that decided to make that change or Ford? They were not made by Shelby American, but they are still Shelby's?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Are 68-69 Shelby's actually Shelby's?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 10:59:33 PM »
Yes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tobkob

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 09:53:33 AM »
Yep!!! as much as the later '67's...
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 10:19:22 AM »
I think one of the biggest problems was the poor quality and fit and finish of the chopgun  fiberglass in 65-67. A O Smith was making corvette matted fiberglass much better quality and fit and finish so 68-69 shelbys got better quality fiberglass and Ionia MI. was close to detroit so ford could better control the shelby program and not have long distance shipping and supply problems and expenses vs southern california.  Just think how much $  and time  and hascle was saved by not having to ship all them FE drivetrains out to far west .

Offline MrBill

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 10:58:07 AM »
The title may be a little confusing, but I'm having a discussion with a guy who claims that the 68/69 Shelby's are actually just Ford Mustangs. After showing him my title that has for the Make as "SHEB" He states:

"The state title says Shelby. It does not say it was manufactured by Shelby American. All Shelbys produced after 1967, when Carrol Shelby had a fallout with Ford Motor Company were produced by Ford. This is why I say the 68, 69 and 70's that carry the name Shelby are really just Ford Mustangs and not true Shelbys."

I know CS was not happy with the direction the Shelby Mustang was going for 1968, but Shelby American had a contract with Ford through the 1969 model year. Instead of the Mustang being converted at SA @ LAX, they were converted at A.O. Smith. Was it SA that decided to make that change or Ford? They were not made by Shelby American, but they are still Shelby's?

Over the years, this nonsense comes up every once in a while, first it was the 65/66's, started by their owners, then the 67', then the 68-70's. Followed by the Dodge variations and late model Shelby owners

Bill

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 12:38:44 PM »
Yes they are Shelbys.

An ignorant argument.

It was Fords idea to move production, mainly because of the poor quality of parts and low production numbers (read financial losses)

Many of the same people were involved in the 68-70 production, such as designed engineers and fabricators.