Author Topic: Date codes not on water pump  (Read 1388 times)

Offline 1965 t5

Date codes not on water pump
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
So I have found now 3 of the original aluminum C5AE-8505-C pumps but all are without date codes.  I also have a 67 cast pump.  I know at least one 65 and the 67 were rebuilt years ago.  Did they remove the codes as a standard practice or did many of the earlier 65 pumps (my main concern) not have codes on them? 

If I show in driven concours with a pump that has no visible date code, what kind of point deduction should I expect?

Thanks for your input.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Date codes not on water pump
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
I can't answer about whether or not there should be a date code on the pump for your application, but can say that in concours judging date codes are not looked at other than the door plate and/or buck tag for a 65.  I think that sheet metal and component date codes are looked at in unrestored and thoroghbred classes.  Back to yours - a Ford pump with the correct part number is good.  If someone else with specific knowledge provides information that leads you to believe you don't have the right pump, such as one with a date, hunt for one. 

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Date codes not on water pump
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
................If I show in driven concours with a pump that has no visible date code, what kind of point deduction should I expect?

As correcctly mentioned judges will not be looking at those date codes in your class.

By "visible date code" are you stating there is no "clock" or "wheel"?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)