Author Topic: '65 - '66 Deluxe Interior Pony Inserts  (Read 4035 times)

Offline sdgrant

'65 - '66 Deluxe Interior Pony Inserts
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
I received the March '10 Mustang Monthly this morning and enjoyed the article on Bob Perkins' 56-mile '66 coupe.  I noticed the deluxe interior had darker vinyl on the pony inserts on the seat backs.

1.  Was this darker insert done on all colors (except black)?  Was it done only on the single colors ('65 red, '66 red, palomino, parchment, white) and not the two-tone colors (blue/white, aqua/white, ivy gold/white, emberglo/parchment)?

2.  Is there any aftermarket supplier that makes replacement seat covers with the correct darker inserts?  If not, is the correct procedure to dye the inserts the correct darker shade?
Steve Grant
MCA Certified Judge, '64½ - '66 class
1964½ Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe

Offline Murf

Re: '65 - '66 Deluxe Interior Pony Inserts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
You are correct.  The "pony" insert is a darker color then the rest of the seat material.  This is the case no matter a solid color OR a two-tone.  It is a lot of bother to get a set from some of the aftermarket crowd with the correct color insert.  YOU must locate the correct color for the insert, and then find someone who will emboss the material with the pony pattern.  The material takes on a different texture and becomes a tough feeling chunk of material.  In the past i have been able to locate NOS material in the correct color for some interiors and one of the major suppliers of upholstery pressed the pony inserts and sewed them into their product.  It is a pain.  SMS may be able to supply you with a correct color if you care to pursue this.  It seems that the pony insert color is a close relative of the color used on the dash pad, so keep that in mind when you are searching for the correct shade.  Maybe not an exact match but certainly in the family of the dash pad.
While on the color soapbox, it may not surprise you to know that sometimes the color of the rest of the seats are the incorrect color.  Some interior colors are not even close to the original shade.  NOS material is the only answer for this problem. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
The color of the material used in certain seat covers is so far from correct that the entire interior looks terrible.  Code 68 is a prime example (Ivy Green and White)  Presently the inserts, the green and the white used in reproductions are incorrect and the only solution is to buy all NOS material and have the covers made.  Some of the major retailers have a strong connection to the suppliers and can get this job done for you but it requires a little effort and a strong money commitment.    The current crop of seat covers are not great.  You are pretty much left to your own devices if you are picky about how your car looks and if you want it correct.  I have spoken with TMI about this and as is in the case of many incorrect reproduction parts they are aware of the failure of their color  match they say that no one else has been unhappy.  Good luck if you pursue this and will be happy to provide you info on what methods and suppliers have been used in the past to get a set of covers created that look as if they belong in a Mustang.  This article also mentions the iridescence of the colors and this is an issue with some reproduction covers.  Just remember that it IS possible to get a good set made but it is not cheap, fast, or easy.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline yelostang

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
Was surprised to see black seat belts in a red deluxe interior. Could understand it on a 68, but on 66's???

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:21:46 AM »
...Darker insert....Was it done only on the single colors ('65 red, '66 red, palomino, parchment, white) and not the two-tone colors (blue/white, aqua/white, ivy gold/white, emberglo/parchment)?

Very early Pony interior (April 19th, 1965) -- Original Trim Code 69 showing the darker insert.

I've seen the Pony interior called, Deluxe, Luxury, Pony, etc. What was the 'official' factory name?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »

I've seen the Pony interior called, Deluxe, Luxury, Pony, etc. What was the 'official' factory name?

I think it was officially the Interior Decor Group.
Too much junk, too little time.