Author Topic: Concours Driven - Swap Belt?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline BobV

Concours Driven - Swap Belt?
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
I have a 45k mile car, pretty much original, but NOT currently "original enough" (IMO) for unrestored. (Battery, tires, exhaust, wipers, etc)... I'm working on those items, but intend to show the car this year in Concours Driven.

The original hoses are on the car, but we replaced the original serpentine belt with a current Motorcraft part. The original has "some" of the typical serpentine cracking, but is "serviceable", I just don't trust it for 500 mile trips. Am I better off (in C.D.) to swap in the original belt at the show, or leave the Motorcraft replacement in place? The markings on the original vs. current Motorcraft are slightly different - so condition or originality?

Looks like I will be swapping plug wires anyway, as current Motorcraft replacements are not cylinder numbered, and the rulebook covers that... Change out the belt too???  :-\

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:57:32 AM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Concours Driven - Swap Belt?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
yes i would swap it too.
5F09C331248

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
This is for the '86 Saleen?  If so, the replacement belt may be acceptable in concours driven, you might want to check with Chuck Wiltens on that or a 3rd generation gold card judge.  As for the wires, yeah, you'll need the correct ones.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline BobV

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Yes, this is on the 86 Saleen.
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original