Author Topic: Round head / flat head valance mounting kit? 65 San Jose  (Read 2483 times)

Offline lunarweasel

Round head / flat head valance mounting kit? 65 San Jose
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »
Hi to all, my first post,

65 San Jose Coupe, C-Code, Mar. 65

Thanks in advance for any help offered,

I needed a little bit of welding in my trunk last summer, and I spent the entire time in Ohio detailing the trunk and prepping. I didnt' have time to remove the valance and bumper before she went under the knife. I noticed the shop lost my valance screws, so I might as well get a new kit. That's my back story, and as a novice restorer, I don't know if they were flat or round headed.  I didn't even know there was an option until I went to order a new set. :)

With all due respect, I am not doing a concours resto, but that doesn't mean I won't try to keep her within reach of going back to original. MIght as well get the the right parts here and there if the cost is negligible.

Can one of you please advise me one way or the other?  Thank you, this site came highly recommended.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Round head / flat head valance mounting kit? 65 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
Welcome aboard lunar!!  I'm sure Charles or Jeff will be along soon and share their knoledge with you!
I am actually hanging out here more than over at the VMF nowdays where I'm known as 6hipoconv.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
On my way out the door - will modify the post (with some pictures) on my return,  but did want to mention IME its fairly common to find two different style of screws used at times (no problem seeing all matching either ;)  One style for the two used to attach the valance to the unibody before the paint and a different style installed (the rest) after the exterior color was applied.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
Jeff - I have a suspicion that is the way my 9/65 SJ car was.  Flat heads outboard and the other style elsewhere as I recall.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
Jeff - I have a suspicion that is the way my 9/65 SJ car was.  Flat heads outboard and the other style elsewhere as I recall.

I would guess they were not the ones out at the ends - more commonly the second or third ones in from the end ;)

So took a look at allot of 65 SJ cars and below is what I found - and different from 66 SJ cars

Vastly most common are those that all matched  and had the head design as shown below (figured no reason to post multiples)

Did find a couple of cars were the worker used the screw type shown below on the painted screw (all others match what is shown above) - Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline lunarweasel

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Wow!  What a response.  Thanks all.

I don't know if you guys have ever had this happen in life before, but I didn't remember anything about which screws I possibly could have had until I saw that picture with the flat head below.  I swear I remember it having flat heads now.  I am almost certain.  ugh!

The choices.....

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=HW491

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=HW460

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »
If those were the only two choices IMHO the upper one is the best choice. Though both are incorrect concours wise ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline lunarweasel

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
I appreciate your time Jeff, and others.  Semi-correct round it is! :)