Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41341 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
don't believe the drivers door is the problem unless it somehow was cross-wired to any other door harness wiring)

Something else along this thought came to mind. If somehow you've cross-wired the door wiring with the courtesy light in the door and are pulling 12v through the door bulb (back-feeding) this might happen(plugs are similar on 67's). Since the passengers door seems to have the problem, possibly the plugs inside the door pillar aren't connected where they belong. Just an idea. You DEFINATELY are back-feeding, the question is where from.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

2. Key on, Driver's Door Open: Light goes off
3. Key on, Passenger door open: Light is still on

I have power all the way to the passenger switch..now what?  Can I fix or adjust that switch?

This is what makes me think possible backfeed into the courtesy lamps. Look to see if any lamp or lamps (especially in a door) try to light up It would be VERY dim if it did and not easy to notice in a very well lit area so maybe try checking in a dark area away from light.

Richard, Self-employed, Licensed Mechanic & Electrical Wizard for 40 years  ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gwells67

I think you are on to something here!  I disconnected the wire to the driver's door harness and the passenger door now works as it should.  I ale noticed that the driver's door harness has been cut so it's totally possible that the courtesy light power or ground and the door ajar wire are mixed up.  I need to take my kick panel of and see what is doing here but I think this has put me down the right path!

Thanks!

Offline 67gtasanjose

I think you are on to something here! 

Yeah, the DOOR ajar portion of this system is not rocket science. It gets it's switched 12v supply with the rest of the Convenience system and a ground signal provided from each door switch on the latches. It's about as simple as wiring up a table lamp. The clue once again was the weird way each door worked/didn't work right, along the lines of a bad ground in a dual element brake light/taillight that seems to work fine independently but when the taillights are on AND you step on the brake they both go out! 

:D Happy this helped narrow it down. Don't forget those lenses!

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

bump.
Note: I updated an earlier comment #13 from page 1 of this thread today, please re-read if you can.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:34:25 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
If you would like to build an article for the library that is another option once you collect all the pictures and information. I can/will put together it all in  a format and arrange things to help - you get final approval (your names on it :)   before its "put on the shelf" and "published"

Just a thought and offer know this is one of your pet projects
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

If you would like to build an article for the library that is another option once you collect all the pictures and information. I can/will put together it all in  a format and arrange things to help - you get final approval (your names on it :)   before its "put on the shelf" and "published"

Just a thought and offer know this is one of your pet projects

I think that would be a good idea to do this. We definately would need more images first IMO, to put together an article that is "Concours" in quality of information. At this time, this thread remains a good "scratch pad" for notes at least.  ;)

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

The assembly manuals clearly show light positions and a lot of other information. I thought of scanning them but they are copy righted.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

Another uncovered detail about these systems. Maybe others can shed some light from examples they have with this Safety Convenience Control System and/or Speed Control as to actual assembly line change-over dates.

Page 57 of Osborn Electrical has a wire running down the right side strut support (view-A). This makes better sense than the example I have found (early system?) on my 11/66 produced car. The wire on the EARLY design runs along the pinch weld below the strut supports, over the brake booster and joins up (seprately) within the wiring loops of the headlamp harness, along in front of the radiator and back to the starter solenoid (with the alternator wiring).

This evidence suggests two designs of this "bulb test" wire.

The manual page is dated 1-16-67, and supersedes 9-28-66. The update indicates a different wire and different wiring holders were used, shortening the route of the wire.

This shortened wire, IMHO, most likely did NOT pass through the wiring retainer strap as shown in View-B of the A.M. (this opinion should be verified, if at all possible)

If anyone has any input to this, please add your comments, since so much is unknown about the exact details of these systems.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:37:08 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Another uncovered detail about these systems. Maybe others can shed some light from examples they have with this Safety Convenience Control System and/or Speed Control as to actual assembly line change-over dates.

IF your going to get into the speed/cruise control subject you'll have to consider that there was more than one supplier/design used through out the year also.

Just to complicate things ;)   it is 67 production  ::)  nothing come easy
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

IF your going to get into the speed/cruise control subject you'll have to consider that there was more than one supplier/design used through out the year also

Not really, just the Osborn manual mentioned the cruise control also connected to this particular jumper wire from the solenoid.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline ceggar

What was the color of the female connector and wire going to the solenoid of the early production models?
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline 67gtasanjose

What was the color of the female connector and wire going to the solenoid of the early production models?

Fortunately, my car is apart for restoring, so I can show both ens in one shot. The example I have uses a black 12 or 14 gage wire (cannot see the inside copper diameter) that is 131 inches OVERALL length (measured from the outside end of the eye-connector to the outside end of the 3-opening round "bullet" style connector) I see no tracer color when I examine the wire closely. See attached photo for the wiring ends.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:39:42 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

Just picked up another set of 67 lenses.  I took a few shots comparing the "in dash" wiring harness and the "in console (with A/C)" version.

Harness part numbers C7ZB-10B923-A and C7ZB-10B923-B
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

Just picked up another set of 67 lenses.  I took a few shots comparing the "in dash" wiring harness and the "in console (with A/C)" version.

Harness part numbers C7ZB-10B923-A and C7ZB-10B923-B

Thanks John, always good to see original examples and have part numbers. Maybe one day we can put together an Article for the Library here. Jeff had asked me at one time, but I feel we need to try and get more info about this option first, for example:

A bit of input might be needed to possibly clarify a detail of whether the 67 (or 68) Mustang could have been ordered with a stand alone "Low Fuel" light. I do not have any of the dealership order forms available for the then new 67's, but the question rose in me as I was reading an article posted in the Concours Mustang Library (near center fold of the last 2 pages of the images within the Library article)

http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/67%20Mustang/Car%20Life%20-%201967-01.pdf

Within the article, it was mentioned the Test Vehicle had a Park Brake light, a Low Fuel light and a Seat Belt light. I have seen before the stand alone Park Brake light but am not sure it came as a factory installed option as stand alone or if it were an accessory option. Either way, I have at least seen them before. The larger question here that would be nice to answer is: "Was there a stand alone Low Fuel indicator", if so, does anyone have any photos or images of it? Obviously, the Seat Belt warning seemed to be a standard option on all 67's and a stand alone outside the Convenience Control Group. The article makes no mention of a "DOOR"ajar light, and the photos indicate the car has no floor console which would have housed the Convenience Group on an Air Conditioned 67 Mustang. With a careful look at the images in the article, you can spot the Park Brake light over the top of the headlamp switch and an easy spot of the Seat Belt light.

Richard
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:03:33 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch