Author Topic: Best finish for cast iron exhaust manifolds?  (Read 12930 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Best finish for cast iron exhaust manifolds?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
A few years back the guy that does my powder coating told me that there was a problem in the 1200F powder coating material. I'll stop by tomorrow and ask about that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
Did you use the rattle cans or the pints?

Pint

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
There's another Eastwood exhaust paint, "Factory Gray High Temp Coating, Cast Iron Color" up to 1200F, Eastwood 34105Z, a 16OZ brush-on can. That I've used with good results.
The Eastwood "Stainless Steel Coating" is Eastwood 1256, also a 16OZ brush-on can.
(If I keep cleaning I may find more stuff I "lost".)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

priceless

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
Just for reference, I painted the exhaust manifolds on my 66 "K" Fastback about two years ago with Eastwood Stainless Steel Coating Hi Temp 1200F brush on paint and here are a couple of pictures. I've tried McKay Graphite Spray that looks good but doesn't last.
Jim
+1...Have used Eastwoods stainless brush on coating for years on several different Mustangs and have never had any problems. On our '69 Mach1, I applied Eastwoods stainless brush on back in 1994. And up until 2008, when I had to pull the motor and rebuild it, it looked as good as the day I applied it.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
I used Eastwood's exhaust manifold paint several years ago (34105Z), following directions exactly.  It burned off the first time I fired up the engine and now my exhaust headers are nice and rust-colored.  *sigh*
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
I used Factory Gray High Temp Coating, Cast Iron Color on one set of exhaust manifolds - had creep from the machine face and within 12 months redid them with another product

Because of access and difficulty in removing the manifolds on some cars - not a job many of us want to redo

Definitely a good reason to share what has worked or hasn't worked here on the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »
I would like to add some clarification on powder coating and ceramic coating, both for general use and high temperature applications.
First: powder coating materials and techniques have not developed a high temperature finish. Powder coating has a high temperature range of 600F to about 1000F with emphasis at the lower figure. In other words, powder coating should not be considered for exhaust manifolds (at this time).
Second: ceramic coating has a maximum temperature of about 1600F which will go well with exhaust applications. I saw some samples on smooth pipe and the gray was very close to what a cast iron manifold should look like, although there were no samples of cast iron available.
After consulting with Jeff, I was encouraged to enter a disclaimer, powder coating and ceramic coating were not processes used in the automotive industry when most of our cars were made. They would not be accepted in formal MCA judging.
On the other hand, on cars I've restored to the daily driver level, I've had several parts powder coated: bumper brackets; the front engine cross member; rear axle housing; mostly under body items that get a lot of road wear and tear. Brake backing plates and front springs could also be added to the list.
For more information about powder coating and ceramic coating, refer to the Processes section of this forum and feel free to contact them.
Jim

priceless

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:52 AM »
I used Eastwood's exhaust manifold paint several years ago (34105Z), following directions exactly.  It burned off the first time I fired up the engine and now my exhaust headers are nice and rust-colored.  *sigh*
Funny how some products work for some folks, but not so well for others.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Any opinions on the Calyx product from Eastwood?    Looks to be a coating of sorts that is brushed on.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=calyx&pw=crylx&rt=spelling&isort=score
Greg Z

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
Any opinions on the Calyx product from Eastwood?    Looks to be a coating of sorts that is brushed on.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=calyx&pw=crylx&rt=spelling&isort=score

Stuff is sort of a paste - or like Vasoline in texture and thickness. Bought some - played around on some exhaust pipes and didn't care for it. But that was only a limited experiment - your results may vary ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rcgt350

Ceramic Coating Exhaust Manifolds
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 01:01:33 PM »
I?m looking into coatings for a pair of exhaust manifolds, what are people leaning towards these days?
Spray paint, ceramic coating?
Randy
1967 GT 350 W White
1970 Boss 302 GG Restoration in progress
2012 Boss 302 C Orange
1930 Ford Model A 4 Door Deluxe Town Sedan

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Ceramic Coating Exhaust Manifolds
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
neither for me. i like a product called calyx.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »
I?m looking into coatings for a pair of exhaust manifolds, what are people leaning towards these days?
There is a high temperature rated powder coat that is available. I've not used it so I can't make any recommendations.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
I've been using a ceramic paint applied with a gun then heat treated.  Some others have used it for cast iron transmission cases and tail shaft housings.
Stuff's not cheap but does not tale allot. Plus you don't want much on the manifolds both for looks and durability. Picture of the product I've been using that has been posted before

Consider that if your restoring the car and the cars in your signature, there will be engine paint on the cast exhaust manifolds as well as some of the hardware. Some coatings will not work well this this process or look

Since we already have an earlier thread on the subject going to merge them both together. Will help that thread and bring it up to date with some new or confirming information
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 06:53:14 PM »
Hey Jeff, long time, hope things have been well with you.

I'm actually about to do my exhaust manifolds again since my engine is out of the car and was wondering about what you said above about applying that stuff with a gun. I have the same stuff you show and was wondering if you thin it out or what your process is for spraying it. I know you probably want a pretty light coat, just enough to cover it so you don't fill in the manifolds casting details or have it look "thick" and painted on. Just curious if you thin it with something for use in a spay gun I guess is my question :)

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior