Author Topic: '69 rear spoiler questions  (Read 19582 times)

Offline andestang

'69 rear spoiler questions
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
So going by Anghel restorations article '69 did not come out with a rear deck lid spoiler but always see references to '69 specific spoilers. All the re-pro deck lids that I see seem to follow the '69 version. My Mach has a spoiler but is clearly the wrong one and would later like to identify what it's from ( it's mounting stanchions  are narrower, mount right where the hinge channels are ). But for now in my search for a correct one a bunch of questions have come about. This comment from Jeff on another thread heightened my questions.

quote "The 69 mounts to the mounting arm with rivets in 69 and screws in 70. Also the wing is made from different material. So based on the pictures it does not appear to be either a 69 original or reproduction. Mounting (to the trunk lid) is different in hardware also.
Both the 69 and 70 will fit the same mounting holes as well as "look ok" from a distance other than an original 69 will normally have the warped shape by now."

It appears that one was offered in '69 but only as a dealer add on ? Does this also go for the rear louver ? Material differences between '69 and '70 ? I see about the stanchions rivet vs bolting. If it was a dealer add on, what was the usual method to install if the oval mounting hole was not on the original lid ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:23:04 PM by andestang »

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: '69 rear spoiler questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 01:58:07 AM »
Welcome aboard Andestang :-)

So going by Anghel restorations article '69 did not come out with a rear deck lid spoiler but always see references to '69 specific spoilers. All the re-pro deck lids that I see seem to follow the '69 version. My Mach has a spoiler but is clearly the wrong one and would later like to identify what it's from ( it's mounting stanchions  are narrower, mount right where the hinge channels are ). But for now in my search for a correct one a bunch of questions have come about. This comment from Jeff on another thread heightened my questions.

quote "The 69 mounts to the mounting arm with rivets in 69 and screws in 70. Also the wing is made from different material. So based on the pictures it does not appear to be either a 69 original or reproduction. Mounting (to the trunk lid) is different in hardware also.
Both the 69 and 70 will fit the same mounting holes as well as "look ok" from a distance other than an original 69 will normally have the warped shape by now."

It appears that one was offered in '69 but only as a dealer add on ? Does this also go for the rear louver ? Material differences between '69 and '70 ? I see about the stanchions rivet vs bolting. If it was a dealer add on, what was the usual method to install if the oval mounting hole was not on the original lid ?

My understanding is that the '69 rear spoilers were a "boss only" item for '69 mustangs ('69 cougars only got them with the Eliminator option).  But it was an item the dealers could order and install themselves, which is what they did sometimes...

Most of the reproductions I've seen are based on the '70 spoiler.

Here are the basics on the '69 vs '70 spoilers:

1969 Rear Spoiler - basically PVC, hollow and light-weight.
- '69 Cougar and Mustang rear spoilers are different, due to pedestal spacing.
- Pedestal spacing is 31" for cougar and 36" for mustang.
- Pedestals themselves are identical between mustang and cougar, and appear solid-cast on the bottom.
- Spoiler Wing is pop-rivetted to the pedestals for both mustang and cougar.
- Mounting plates inside the trunk are different between mustang and cougar (and also different between '69 and '70).

1970 Rear Spoiler - made with fiberglass reinforced sheet moulding compound, essentially solid fiberglass and heavy.
- 70 mustang and 70 cougar rear spoilers are the same.
- Pedestal spacing is 36" for both mustang and cougar.
- Pedestals are cast differently than '69, and appear "hollow" underneath where the part number is located.
- Spoiler Wing is held to the pedestals with screws, brackets, and plates.
- Mounting plates inside the trunk are different between mustang and cougar (and also different between '69 and '70).

1969 cougar rear spoilers don't fit anything else (at least not correctly). The '69 and '70 Mustangs used the same stand widths (36"). The mustang mounting hardware under the trunk lid is different, due to differences in the trunk stamping - the same goes for the '69 vs '70 cougar spoilers.

So measure the space between your pedestals.  If they are spaced 31" and rivetted to the wing then you have a pretty rare piece. 

I hope that helps you some, and let us know what you learn about your spoiler!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:00:59 AM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
Mike has covered this very completely and well IMHO. Allot of people add them but not factory and you will be challenged if you choose to show a non- Boss with either the spoiler or the slates. (expect to be asked for an original sales receipt or window sticker with them being shown before the sale).

Also consider when you car was built. Unless the car was a very, very  late car where would the spoiler have come from since Ford was having difficultly getting them even for the Boss's - read none in the service parts systems to be available.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline andestang

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Thx for the reply Mike ! I managed to get my spoiler off and after just entering the part # D1ZB-6344226 AWA it appears to be from a '71 Mach, so nothing too special I gather. It's in great condition so hopefully I can recoup enough to buy a proper one. So if I find a pic on how a '69 boss spoiler is mounted that would be about the same for a dealer install ? What are '70 Mach people doing when they get a repop lid, I don't seem to see any based on that year with the oval cut outs ? This is why I figure I should just try and mount it like in '69. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:22:11 PM by andestang »

Offline Harry1003

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
Hello,
here are pictures from a 1969 Boss spoiler:
Hope that helps.

Greetings
Harry

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
. It's in great condition so hopefully I can recoup enough to buy a proper one.

Good luck on that one - would guess that an informed seller would want 2-3 times what a 71 is worth in the same condition

Make sure (if you find one) that you get the titanium (Titanium - spelling corrected ) bolts that came originally with the spoiler. Not sure where you would find those today (other source)

Earlier discussion found with the search feature
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5631.msg31563#msg31563

So if I find a pic on how a '69 boss spoiler is mounted that would be about the same for a dealer install ?

No one knows since no one (that I've seen) has come up with a documented example on a Mach I- the reason they are deducted for at shows

What are '70 Mach people doing when they get a repop lid, I don't seem to see any based on that year with the oval cut outs ? This is why I figure I should just try and mount it like in '69. 

Guys are just modifying the lids to look like 70's  (Adding the oval cut out on the inner liner) or finding an original 70.

But your post is a little confusing - do you have a 69 or 70?  IMHO the correct trunk lid is the primary importance then you mount the correct parts in the original fashion not mix and match based on what you have or find
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:46:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
Hello,
here are pictures from a 1969 Boss spoiler:
Hope that helps.

Looks like someone used fender bolts to mount that spoiler ;)

Original hardware

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:25:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline andestang

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Thx for the pic's Harry. Jeff I have a '69, I was just curious on how the '70 cars were dealing with oval mounting hole on repops. Wonder why that post didn't come up in my search.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:58:31 PM by andestang »

Offline Harry1003

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
Sorry,
but I just wanted to show that the spoiler was bolted from below in 1969 and not with studs and nuts like the repops.
I searched a long time on the internet to find out how it is done in 1969. I did it then in the same way at my 1969 Mach 1. ( I know that it is not original but I like it)
A friend sent me these pictures of his 1969 Boss. (One of the few here in Germany)

Greetings
Harry

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:22:54 PM »
Sorry, but I just wanted to show that the spoiler was bolted from below in 1969 and not with studs and nuts like the repops.

No problem but when we post pictures with incorrect/unoriginal details we the poster has a responsibility IMHO to all members and lurkers, to make a note of the detail so others will not assume that they are correct and copy them to their project. Just something that comes with being a reliable resource for details like this :)

I've had to do this often in my posts - with comments like "ignore ......" or notice that xxxxx it not original."

andestang

Not sure why it didn't come up in the search you did - likely the word or word combination you used. I had an advantage in that I remember the post and the pictures I post normally. The important thing is that the message and information got through
Jeff Speegle

Offline andestang

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »
yes, thank you. I do like this look better than the '70 bracket ( cleaner looking )while I realize it is not as strong of a mount even though it has "titanium" bolts ;).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:32:50 AM by andestang »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
I noticed that the bolt head says "TRITANIUM".....is that a brand name?
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
Yes, Manufacture is Premier.  Tritanium and Supertanium  were Premier trademarks. Premier was originally located in Cleveland Ohio. Most race shops used their quality hardware. Was mandated for USAC, followed by Nascar etc. Holman Moody and Kar Kraft used Premier products in the day. KKX was involved in 69 Rear spoiler production and thus the Premier fasteners. KKX also supplied the Chrysler rear spoilers.

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I have the 1969 31" spoiler with the 6 rivets. It appears that the assembly (spoiler, pedestals and pedestal cover ) were painted prior to assembly and that the rivets are left bare metal. is this the correct way  to restore?
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 03:41:31 AM »
So does anyone have pictures of an original 69 Boss with a rear spoiler to show what the mounting with the original hardware looked like?  I was not able to come up with anything.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations