Author Topic: Hood hinge springs bow in the hood  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Buiaka

Hood hinge springs bow in the hood
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:33 AM »
Hi,

yesterday i tried to align my hood better to the cowl and fenders on my 69 Mach 1. I found out, when i leave away the hood hinge springs the hood fits perfect.
After installing the springs again it seems my hood makes a bow in the middle and doesnt come down (not in the rear, in the middle). I have to push against the hood in the middle to get it aligned with my fenders.
What is the reason for that? I read that shelbys with the fiberglas hood had the same problem, but mine is the original hood.
I changed to new hood hinge springs, but the problem still persists.
Im thinking about removing the springs and buy a prop rod for the hood.
What are your thoghts?

greets

Christopher

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood hinge springs bow in the hood
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »
Had my fair share of 69 & 70 Mustangs nad have never experienced or hear of anyone having the issue you discribe. IMHO it has noting to do with the Shelby bow sicne the hoods are made of completely different materials  and conditions are different

With that said -

Has the hood been damaged or allot of rust in the past?   

Did you get/have the right hood springs for the application? 

Would not consider the prop rod I would address the problem. With that said it better be siting in the garage with the hood open all thew way until you figure this one out

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Buiaka

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Hi Jeff,

the hood looks fine and was painted new when i bought the car. Im just saying that the hoods sits better without the hood hinge springs.
I tried a pair of new springs and get the same result. The next step will be to install new hinges.

greets

Christopher

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Hi Jeff,

the hood looks fine and was painted new when i bought the car. Im just saying that the hoods sits better without the hood hinge springs.
I tried a pair of new springs and get the same result. The next step will be to install new hinges.

Hope you find what is causing it - as mentioned never observed this problem or heard from others on a related concern. Odd (if it was a common think) we've not heard from other members that have had the same problem
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
Hi Jeff,

greets

Christopher
I have seen this situation before where you can push down on the hood that is raised up at the back and get it pushed down into a better position. This typically indicates a poor hinge adjustment or have seen worn out hinge cause the same symptom do that too. The pivot points get elongated behind the rivets causing the extra sloppiness . I would try a different set of hinges .Reuse your springs 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby