Author Topic: Transverse Dual Exhaust System HIPO Question  (Read 4460 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Transverse Dual Exhaust System HIPO Question
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »
With the current MCA rules, it would be a big deduction. 

I know Charles, it is not correct for a D-Code. But, I've decided to leave it like this. Ray Coleman, who restored the car, mentioned this dual exhaust in an artice in MM July 2004.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0407-1964-ford-mustang-convertible/

He won Gold in Concours Trailered despite the incorrect exhaust ;-)

Greetings, Michael
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
Here are some images for reference from my June 8th (on data plate) '64 1/2 HiPo Coupe with the original exhaust system.

Original resonator (both stamped the same way):

Original transverse muffler:

Brant I also have a 64.5 June 8th build K coupe we should talk sometime,  chuck.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
I know Charles, it is not correct for a D-Code. But, I've decided to leave it like this. Ray Coleman, who restored the car, mentioned this dual exhaust in an artice in MM July 2004.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0407-1964-ford-mustang-convertible/

Greetings, Michael
It must be a nice car. Of course the judging standards and knowledge and expectations have increased since 2004 or even as little as 3 years ago so it may be a different end result if the same condition car were to be judged today using current standards and a up to date judge. Just saying.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline michaelvonlanthen

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
So you would change it to a D-Code correct single exhaust system? With my car I plan to drive 2000-3000 mls a year in summer. Exhaust noise is also important to me and with the current system I can be happy, even if it is a bit too loud on the highway with 60 mls/h.
Has anyone a sound sample of a 289 single exhaust noise?
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

5F08D189*** - 76A   F   42   06G    75   1   6
Guardsman Blue Convertible with white interior, AT, PB, AC, console, Rally-Pac

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
So you would change it to a D-Code correct single exhaust system? With my car I plan to drive 2000-3000 mls a year in summer. Exhaust noise is also important to me and with the current system I can be happy, even if it is a bit too loud on the highway with 60 mls/h.
Has anyone a sound sample of a 289 single exhaust noise?
That wasn't the point of my post . I was responding specifically to - "

The point being that was then and this is now for the purpose of you making the best decision for "you". As far as changing your exhaust , It depends on your expectations. If you are concerned about maximum points attainable then you would need to change it for example . If maximum points achieved is not as big of a issue because of cost or usage then maybe not. You have to make the choice that makes the best sense to you. Just don't be  lulled into thinking that your car would do as good today compared to 2004 given the things mentioned above. It sounds like a nice car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline michaelvonlanthen

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
Thank you Bob. As I live in Switzerland - there is no MCA judging and many shops don't care too much about originality. I like to keep the good condition of my car since the floor is very solid and there are many NOS parts on the car. Guess, I have to invest some $ to rebuild the brakes, parts of the exhaust system as well as to remove the surface rust on some parts on the undercarriage (steering etc).

Hopefully next year, I will find time to visit you guys at MCA Grand National!
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

5F08D189*** - 76A   F   42   06G    75   1   6
Guardsman Blue Convertible with white interior, AT, PB, AC, console, Rally-Pac

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Thank you Bob. As I live in Switzerland - there is no MCA judging and many shops don't care too much about originality. I like to keep the good condition of my car since the floor is very solid and there are many NOS parts on the car. Guess, I have to invest some $ to rebuild the brakes, parts of the exhaust system as well as to remove the surface rust on some parts on the undercarriage (steering etc).

Hopefully next year, I will find time to visit you guys at MCA Grand National!
Wow . I admire your long distant commitment. FYI you may want to run buy maintenance issues as you have to do them with members on this forum. There is a strong positive desire here to help out other like mind people and preserve the cars . You may be surprised what tips you find out even on some of the most simple of maintenance and or storage issues.  :)