Author Topic: 65 Mustang shock towers  (Read 3366 times)

Offline soccer1061287

65 Mustang shock towers
« on: December 19, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
My passenger side fender aprons are bowed in.  There are indications that the car had been hit in that area at some point in it's life.  I currently havee the car on stands with the right side tire/wheel and shock absorber removed. That does not seem to be doing the trick.  Any feedback on if I were to put a heavy rod down through the hole where the shock goes and apply pressure to bring that area out to where it belongs?  Also, would the addition of an export brace count against me in judging?? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Mustang shock towers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
......... Any feedback on if I were to put a heavy rod down through the hole where the shock goes and apply pressure to bring that area out to where it belongs?

I would do plenty of measuring and rechecking before moving big stuff or find a frame shop with a jig

Also, would the addition of an export brace count against me in judging??

Likely unless its an original export car - you might make a presentation trying to convince the judges that it was a Ford part available across the counter part at the time you car was delivered.

Couple of problems possibly with this

1- If you car is an early one you might not be able to establish that it was available at that time

2- An original even spaced export brace is not going to be cheap and I would not even try to get a later version past the judges along with the "it could have been" discussion ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
Sounds like it should go to a good frame shop and have it looked into. Any rust at the bottom of the tower won't help. Export brace would be a band aid fix, [if you could get one to fit]. Handling and safe drivability is key here, with the tower out of alignment, steering and emergency braking could be compromised putting you and others at risk.

Offline soccer1061287

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
The hit on the car seemed to be higher (above the frame rail).  I have enough knowledge to make me dangerous and I also have the equipment to pull the frame out if necessary.   It is just that I sometimes can act on something and thinkit through later.  This is not a situation where that would be even close to being acceptable. 

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
The problem your having sounds like rust out in the shock tower at the lower frame rail. The tower is most likely separating from the rail as this is very common on cars in the rust belt areas of the country. I would inspect that area first on each side. Some models have heavy layers of seam sealer and accumulated dirt you will have to dig out to get a good look at it. If the tower and rail is rusted out there are a couple options: patch repair with some of the available aftermarket patch kits, replace the apron or rail assy. if its really bad or repair one and replace the other. If the damage is extensive I would try to find a nice original rust free tower and rail section and use what you need. You will then have a correct part for the car and a solid repair. If the shock towers are leaning in from a collision or unknown reason, I would find a FORD export brace and this will be your fixture of sorts for the upper tower to cowl  measurement and you can use a porta power or friction jack to get the proper alignment and when your export brace bolts drop in easily your good to go. If you have access to a tram bar to double check your work and also make sure your entire front unibody structure is square, this can also be done with a tape measure, just make a x measurement from the furthest front fender bolt hole to the furthest rear fender bolt. Hope this helps.....CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007