Author Topic: 72 emissions 351 2V decals  (Read 3034 times)

Offline nham3407

72 emissions 351 2V decals
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
I have 2 emissions decals and I know one goes on the passenger side of the cowl and the other on the drivers side valve cover.  The first photo is what I believe to be the cowl decal and the second is the driver side valve cover decal.  As I do not have the original valve covers to compare too.  Any advice on the placement of the correct decal in the correct location would be appreciated.  Moreover, if you have any examples of 72 engine bat decal placement I would appreciate it.  Not sure if the Autolite replacement parts decal should be placed on the air cleaner or not.  Right now just planning to use the FRONT decal.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:57:04 PM by J_Speegle »
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 72 emissions 351 2V decals
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
I have 2 emissions decals and I know one goes on the passenger side of the cowl and the other on the drivers side valve cover.  The first photo is what I believe to be the cowl decal and the second is the driver side valve cover decal.  As I do not have the original valve covers to compare too.  Any advice on the placement of the correct decal in the correct location would be appreciated.

Got to ask - why put both decals on one car - especially since the information on each does not match the other. Could it be that there was a running change where it was one location or another. Or another possibility - one is something that was made up - since other years had the valve cover decal they assumed that 72 did also) . We've seen this before especially on those years where not allot of homework was done when these decals were first made. 

Some decals were made up because owners wanted something to put on their cars and the producer figured what the heck, if they will buy them I'll make them :(

Here are a few original examples - could not find one with a valve cover timing decal on it. First three pictures are of   a very nice original local car. The last from a internet ad - reported to be a 15K mile car. Think the local car was/is much nicer

Bottom one is a very very early car (VIN suggests first few days of production)   and it uses a different colored cowl decal. Likely just another running change

Moreover, if you have any examples of 72 engine bat decal placement I would appreciate it.  Not sure if the Autolite replacement parts decal should be placed on the air cleaner or not.

Don't see any of the air filter replacement decal on ths side like other years in the pictures. Always can add it later if you  find some documentation to support it

Right now just planning to use the FRONT decal.

??  Why ??  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
Jeff as always I do appreciate your information and examples to site your research.  Several 73's that are known untouched originals had the front decal on the 351 2V are cleaners.  That was my basis for moving in that direction with that decal.  I agree that the redundency on emissions decals was curious and that is why I sought the advice of this group.  I will hold off on the valve cover sticker until some other documentation supports it.  For now, just the cowl sticker that I can testify was on my car when I acquired it many years ago.

Thank you again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
Since your building a 72 not a 73 I would hold off on the FRONT  but your car - your choice. But be ready for questions if you show the car ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the continued feedback.  I went and pulled some of my early 80's pictures of the car.  I apologize for the grainy quality, but it was the 80's.  What would the opinion be on the sticker remnants on the air cleaner housing pictured below.  If you look just above the plug wires there is some residual paper or glue on the housing.  I am not sure if it is the same size as the FRONT sticker or not.  Thoughts/Opinions?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Looks like that is much taller and  a bit wider than the FRONT decal

Believe it might be the part number decal that is sometimes found on these taller air cleaners.

Your picture

Area where there appears to have been adhesive highlighted

Don' t have a picture of them from a 72 example (not as many of those have been saved but do have examples of what remains on a number of 73's with the same style of base

Two different cars shown in the picture - as you might be able to make out - not always placed exactly at the front of each car

At this moment - that is my best guess ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
The small rectangle sticker on the side of the air cleaner contained the engineering number of the air cleaner housing, which was a 73 only sticker. .        The front sticker wasnt used after 68, because air housings used after that had built in indexing tabs which allowed the housing to go on the carb in only one position.

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
Here's that sticker shown on a 73 housing that contained the eng or service part number only. No 'front' sticker was ever used 71-73........but they sell them to u !

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »
...and if restoring correctly, note the finish on the power steering pump bracket on my last pix. Not all 71-73 brackets were black.