Author Topic: Welding Question  (Read 1595 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Welding Question
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
Looking for tips on how to best repair the cut-up Radio area of my Dash. I'm using a Non-Gas Wire Welder with .030" Steel Flux Core Wire. I've done just fine repairing Panels but this will require a bit more finesse. For example: should I weld from the front or would it be cleaner and easier to weld from the back? If anyone has had experience doing this or is an experienced Welder, I would greatly appreciate your help.

The photos are of my own car and the Panel is from an original Dash.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Welding Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
Wow...I wouldn't use flux core at all; MIG would be much preferred as you can finesse things better.  TIG welding would be even better.

If you have to use what you have, work from the back so that your grinding would be minimized on the front.  Watch out for excessive heat which can warp the metal.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »
Ray,
  I used an adapter to my arc welder called a "stitch welder" to repair my hacked up 66 Hardtop radio slot. It replicates spot welds. My first attempt never got used, the replacement patch. It was too thin. I made sections of the ends with the inward bends like the original dash and with a few backing pieces of sheet metal, some grinding, spot putty, made it work. I also used a couple of welding pads to protect the interior. A friend had his done in a shop but the under dash harness was out and that made it easier.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:11 AM »
How do you spell "HAX"?

MIG would be much preferred as you can finesse things better.  TIG welding would be even better.

I would definately farm this one out to a pro. Welding is more of an art. I weld things needing stuck together but do not consider myself a welder. Most of the times the jobs look great!  Every now and again they don't. Considering the high visibility of this job, no way I'd try this one.
I can play certain band instruments but I do not consider myself as a musician either ;) Playing the notes and staying in time with the tempo, I still sound like a 6 year-old singing at a school play.   :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:31:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
Weld from the front
Welding MIG with gas is prefered
Weld with short beads ( stitch weld in)
Clamp as best you can and back the seam with copper

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »
+1 trim the doner piece down and fit over top of the original and when it all fits good double cut with a panel saw.  Then stitch weld moving around the piece, cool with an air nozzle.  I would practice some butt welding on a scrap piece to get into the the rythem unless you do this alot it takes some practice to get the motion down.  A copper magetic plate on the back side helps with blow thru and helps to dissipate heat.  They also make butt welding clamps to hold the piece with the correct gap, got mine at harbor freight.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:21:17 AM »
Thank you everyone; each reply gave me a bit more information and helped to reaffirm what I was already thinking.

I have a Copper Spoon, Butt Weld Clamps, Magnets and a Magnetic Ground Clamp, so I'm set in that department. There's also an attachment I need to get that helps to keep a consistent distance from the panels and the tip of the Welder. Once I make my cuts, I'll have a little scrap left over from the Dash and replacement Panel that I plan to practice on. This will give me the chance to try different Power Level and Wire Speed Settings plus I have other scrap that will help me dial in on my welders settings. I also have Floors to do, so I'll likely tackle those first...need a place to sit when it's the dash's turn.

I may post some pictures of the process. Right now the Patch Panel is taped and ready to cut; then I'll do the same to the Dash and check for fit. A few tacks and let it cool. I made the mistake of doing complete seem welds on my first Mustang; luckily I was able to hammer it straight.

Thanks again!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A