Author Topic: painting underside of car - need factory correct pictures  (Read 3501 times)

Offline mkmustang

painting underside of car - need factory correct pictures
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:52:47 AM »
hi everybody
i am about to finish the underside of a 64 1/2 convert san jose car early production
we are going to detail it after cleaning the underside in red/brown  primer .
Anybody has factory correct pictures that show exactly which parts where red and which have been painted in other colours?
i do know , that between body and underside there was a little overspray from the body colour, but we wont do that

thanks

btw. we are a restoration shop in germany - greetings from europe

Offline zray

Re: painting underside of car - need factory correct pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
"…...i do know , that between body and underside there was a little overspray from the body colour, but we wont do that

why not I'm wondering ?

Z.
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
why not I'm wondering ?

Z.
Because Germans don't build cars the way these old Fords were made. We all know these were made rather sloppy, poorly fitting panels and the likes of a fast-paced assembly line. Ford hadn't yet coined phrase "Quality is Job 1"! (that slogan was used from 1981?-1998)
I believe Ford only had a "Better Idea" in the 60's  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:23:58 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mkmustang

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
yes in fact, i think overspray from one colour to the other does not look good,this is our interpretation, other than that i want to restore it factory correct- still not sure , if all of the underside should be in red .... have seen front frame rails of other san jose mustangs in red, too.....
still lokking for pictures
thanks and happy holidays

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
If you can hold out a few more days, many people who may have the pictures you ask may be away at the 50th Anniversary events this week. Bump the thread again after Monday if nobody comes through over the weekend.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mkmustang

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
probably a good idea-thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »
hi everybody
i am about to finish the underside of a 64 1/2 convert san jose car early production
we are going to detail it after cleaning the underside in red/brown  primer .
Anybody has factory correct pictures that show exactly which parts where red and which have been painted in other colours?

Most of the original cars will be pretty dirty and in general would not trust a restored cars as an example to follow

The only parts that were painted the undercarriage color was the body and panels welded to the unibody. One color or tint from firewall forward and often just a slightly different color from approx the firewall rearward.

Any bolt on part bolted to the body was semi-gloss black, bare steel or plated depending on the specific piece There are easily over 100 from below. The MCA rules will give you a basic list of colors and finishes of allot of these items

I don't have many undercarriage shots from any of the first 1000 cars built at San Jose at this time and the ones I do have show allot of body color overspray and not allot of floor color visible without putting the car up on a lift

i do know , that between body and underside there was a little overspray from the body colour, but we wont do that
[/quote]

As mentioned above there appears to have been allot of overspray. Remember the old paint pots of the period blew allot of overspray for greater distances than the guns used today. Like 10 times more at least

Got to ask - if your not restoring the car why worry about what color parts were painted originally??
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)