Author Topic: spacers behind window handles  (Read 1130 times)

Offline tobkob

spacers behind window handles
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:04:10 AM »
I am working on my doors and ordered the spacers for the window handles with door speakers. I always assumed that they went between the door panel and the handle but according to the assembly manual they go behind the door panel. Is this correct? Also what is the correct clocking for the handles?

Thanks,
TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: spacers behind window handles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »
They're a decor item (chrome plated plastic) so they go behind the window crank handles.
Don't forget to add the little stick on disc to the crank handles to cover the screw once you get them pointed in the right direction.
Mine are at around 2 o-clock with the windows up because right or wrong that's the way I like them, gets them out of the way of knees.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
They're a decor item (chrome plated plastic) so they go behind the window crank handles.
Don't forget to add the little stick on disc to the crank handles to cover the screw once you get them pointed in the right direction.
Mine are at around 2 o-clock with the windows up because right or wrong that's the way I like them, gets them out of the way of knees.
I thought they would go in front of the door panel too but unless I'm looking at it wrong the manual shows them behind the panel. It seems a waste of chrome if that is correct. Back in the day as a daily driver I also moved them out of the way of my knees but since I don't drive it very far now I want to put them in the correct position.

TOB

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
The chrome spacers definitely mount on the outside of the door panels.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
Thanks, another question: should the nylon washer go between the chrome spacer and the handle since it acts as a slide between surfaces or between the spacer and door panel?

Offline stuartb01

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
Yes, the nylon washer goes between the handle and the chrome "beauty ring".

Stu