Author Topic: Gaffers tape on tail light housings 70 Boss 10-21-69 build date N J car  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Badgas6228

70 Boss 10-21-69 N J. car pics of gaffers tape on tail light housing. How wide was black tape, and how it was placed examples.  Thanks.   Greg

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Didn't find any examples of the tape still present on any of the pictures of the 70 NJ cars I've got pictures of. Most still had the blue daubs visible and don't forget all the screw and bolt thread protective caps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

For what it's worth and recognizing a lot could have changed from 68 to 70, here's my driver's side tail light with the tape I'm assuming you're referring to on my NJ car. Let me know if this is of help or no help at all.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Since its two years apart would not suggest it has any but minimal help for a 70.  We've covered Dearborn cars in another thread are those might be more relative but we know how things can be different

Appreciate that your trying to help
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70cj428

My 10-30-69 Metuchen CJ still has the residue on the housing where the tape was, and I have a pair of NOS assembly line buckets with lenses that still have the tape on them. It appears that the taillight buckets were supplied with the lenses installed and the tape covered the hole for the lamp socket till the lamp was installed. I'll try and dig them out and take some pics ...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
My 10-30-69 Metuchen CJ still has the residue on the housing where the tape was, and I have a pair of NOS assembly line buckets with lenses that still have the tape on them. It appears that the taillight buckets were supplied with the lenses installed and the tape covered the hole for the lamp socket till the lamp was installed. I'll try and dig them out and take some pics ...

+1 Helped keep "things" from falling or getting into the housings during shipment or where ever. Started back in 67 when that basic design first started. Just could not find an example for the OP so thanks for the confirmation
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70cj428

Hi Greg, dug out a couple examples.... 

The tape is 2" wide black gaffers tape (not duct tape) and it appears to be torn from a roll and originally covered the lamp socket hole. I checked about 4 examples that still had the tape and it varied in length from about 2 1/4" long to 3 1/4" long. It appears that the taillight housings were shipped with the tape covering the hole, and when the car was built, they peeled the tape off and stuck it to the housing. I have about 5 or 6 used housings with the tape still stuck on them. I took a pic of the original housing off my 10-30-69 CJ car, The white stuff on the bucket is not paint, it's the zinc finish oxidizing. I have some nicer examples, but that housing is from a Metuchen car built 9 days after yours.
The second pic is of an NOS taillight housing with the tape still covering the hole. I got about 6 of these in the early 1980's in a lot of parts I bought from a guy I met at the Ricart Ford swap meet who had a bunch of assembly line NOS/takeoff parts. Nothing had service part stickers and most was bulk packed. (The few things that had labels were parts shipped from Ford Engineering) Weird stuff like a box of 50 or so door jamb switches, at least 200 inside door lock buttons. I also got 4 new take off 69 fastback decklids that I'm pretty sure came from Shelbys as they had the holes for the "MUSTANG" letters covered with a big strip of tape but they were painted...

Hope this helps, John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:35:04 AM by 70cj428 »

Offline 70cj428

Forgot to mention, but there's a small blue paint daub on the backside of the bucket, I don't have a great example, but Jeff should be able to come up with some pics if you need them...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Forgot to mention, but there's a small blue paint daub on the backside of the bucket, I don't have a great example, but Jeff should be able to come up with some pics if you need them...

Have dozens - basically the same as found on 69's
Jeff Speegle

Offline Badgas6228

Thanks John and Jeff, what I was needing, If Jeff would post blue dot pic that be great, John you must have a heck of a stash of mustang parts. Greg

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks John and Jeff, what I was needing, If Jeff would post blue dot pic that be great, John you must have a heck of a stash of mustang parts. Greg

Few already posted in the thread below.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26139.0

Will post a new thread in the Mustang section focusing just on the blue daubs for you and others
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
And a new thread so that locating that detail later by others might be easier  ;)

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26892.new#new
Jeff Speegle