Author Topic: Information on the Competition Handling Package  (Read 13051 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Information on the Competition Handling Package
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »
OK I will pull out the pry bar :D . Hey Jeff what tire description does the window sticker that you have give? Bob

Better to pull out the glasses on this one  ;)

From the post twelve before this one (above)

"Tires were listed in the window sticker as 6.50/9.70x15 Sport 200 Nylon"

Will be happy when I can figure out up loading pictures again :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
Better to pull out the glasses on this one  ;)

From the post twelve before this one (above)

"Tires were listed in the window sticker as 6.50/9.70x15 Sport 200 Nylon"

Will be happy when I can figure out up loading pictures again :(
Jeff, glasses not needed this time  ;D I saw that in the post you mention and it is also on the Marti report for one such car (one at R+A) but the 6.50/9.50 X15 sizing designation is what I have always heard refered to as the metric size system of tire identification when compared to the E 70 X15 style measuring system. I was using the two different measuring styles as a basis for comparison between two different tires  - the 6.50/9.50 and the E 70 Speedway. Because of the different measuring systems we could conclude we would be talking about two different tires as well. I was under the impression by your statement in your post of not having a "metric " tire size on the window sticker you have that you were refering to the other non number  "letter" size system of tire. That is why I was trying the " pry bar :) " to pry more info out of you. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline qman

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:16:24 PM »
This might help with regard to the tire issue:
On the statement of vehicle sales for my car, it says...6.50/6.70 X 15 spt.
On the Marti report it say...6.70X15-4ply 170 mph tires. Black sidewall tires.
In a letter dated 2002 from the Ford Motor Company, research unit representative, it states the tires were 6.50/6.70X15-4 PR Nylon Black Sidewall Tires.

The tires on the Blue 390 cu. in. Mustang that Marty refers to in his post has Firestone Sport car 200 tires, with Galaxy caps and red center center caps (just found the pictures).

Hope this helps, Quentin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »
This might help with regard to the tire issue:
On the statement of vehicle sales for my car, it says...6.50/6.70 X 15 spt.
On the Marti report it say...6.70X15-4ply 170 mph tires. Black sidewall tires.
In a letter dated 2002 from the Ford Motor Company, research unit representative, it states the tires were 6.50/6.70X15-4 PR Nylon Black Sidewall Tires.

The tires on the Blue 390 cu. in. Mustang that Marty refers to in his post has Firestone Sport car 200 tires, with Galaxy caps and red center center caps (just found the pictures).

Hope this helps, Quentin
Quentin, that is the same discription that i have seen also which leads me to conclude especially with the "blackwall" discription that the speedway tire was not the same tire and probably not used on this type of application .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rwrose298

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »
There is a article on a Competition Handling Packaged Mustang in the January 1994 issue of Mustang and Fords magazine page 58.  The tires that came originally on that Mustang were Firestone Sport Car 200's,  The sideway stated for Off-road Use Only and required inner tubes, black walls (no white letters).  The delivered hubcap was the Galaxy 500, dealers did swap them out for Thunderbird hubcaps.  Much better looking hubcap, the Thunderbird.

The original shocks were Gabriel 1 5/8 Adjustable E's (white).

The front sway bar should be 11/8 inches.  Not the 3/4 inch stock or the 1 inch GT bar.

Ford's says this was a racing package.  These cars do sit lower than traditional Mustangs.
GT67SCHP

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »
There is a article on a Competition Handling Packaged Mustang in the January 1994 issue of Mustang and Fords magazine page 58.  The tires that came originally on that Mustang were Firestone Sport Car 200's,  The sideway stated for Off-road Use Only and required inner tubes, black walls (no white letters).  The delivered hubcap was the Galaxy 500, dealers did swap them out for Thunderbird hubcaps.  Much better looking hubcap, the Thunderbird.

The front sway bar should be 11/8 inches.  Not the 3/4 inch stock or the 1 inch GT bar.

Ford's says this was a racing package.  These cars do sit lower than traditional Mustangs.

Not all that information matches with original owners and original cars found since - always recheck IMHO anything in print (yes my stuff also - especially) and especially older stuff ;)

By the way who was the author of that article - guessing it was JH if I were guessing
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »

We have learned a lot since the  Jan 94 article . The shocks are the same as those used on the Shelby . In fact all 67 Shelby's came with the competition handling package. The adjustable shocks were painted black in 1967 . Blue in 68. The sway bar was not 1 1/8 or even 1 inch it was 15/16 . The GT bar was 1 inch in 65/66 not 67/68. The 15/16 bar was the bigest offered for 67/68.  The high speed tires were unique this package and different then the Shelby. The tires were tubeless and did not have a "off road use only" designation on the typical competition handling package tire.

Offline rwrose298

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
I hate to disagree with you, my guess is that you have never seen an original 1967 Mustang with Competition Handling Package (CHP).  Which was why the article was originally written in 1994, because MCA judges had never seen one at the time of the article. Mustang's did come with larger than 15/16 front sway bars in 1967, 1 1/8 on CHP.  That was one of the listed items on the CHP order items included, along with 16:1 steering (2.5 turns lock to lock), 3 core radiator, equa lock rear end , 3.25 gears, adjustable Heavy duty shocks, Heavy duty spring front and rear. It came with an 8K Tachometer also.  Also in the 60s Firestone was Ford's tire of choice not the Goodyear that Shelby used.  The Firestone Sport Car "200" 6.50-6.70X15 (about an E60X15) was an "Off Road Only" tire and came with a tube.  I still have one as my spare, still reads "ORO" with the tube.  For tire spec the numbers are not related to today's metric values.  In the 50's tire were 6.75X13, 7.50X15 etc. the only ratio we had then was 78% of the tread width was the sidewall height.  So, if you want a wider tire (foot print on the road) you had to get a taller tire.  The CHP tires were the low profile tire of the day, and nothing compared to today's standards.

In the 60's the Ford sponsored Trans AM racers (Parnell Jones etc) all ran on Firestone tires.  Goodyear was a GM tire than.  From experience CHP equipped Mustangs sit 2 inches lower than standard and GT Mustangs of the day.   Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:20:52 AM by rwrose298 »
GT67SCHP

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
I hate to disagree with you, my guess is that you have never seen an original 1967 Mustang with Competition Handling Package (CHP).  Which was why the article was originally written in 1994, because MCA judges had never seen one at the time of the article. Mustang's did come with larger than 15/16 front sway bars in 1967, 1 1/8 on CHP.  That was one of the listed items on the CHP order items included, along with 16:1 steering (2.5 turns lock to lock), 3 core radiator, equa lock rear end , 3.25 gears, adjustable Heavy duty shocks, Heavy duty spring front and rear. It came with an 8K Tachometer also.  Also in the 60s Firestone was Ford's tire of choice not the Goodyear that Shelby used.  The Firestone Sport Car "200" 6.50-6.70X15 (about an E60X15) was an "Off Road Only" tire and came with a tube.  I still have one as my spare, still reads "ORO" with the tube.  For tire spec the numbers are not related to today's metric values.  In the 50's tire were 6.75X13, 7.50X15 etc. the only ratio we had then was 78% of the tread width was the sidewall height.  So, if you want a wider tire (foot print on the road) you had to get a taller tire.  The CHP tires were the low profile tire of the day, and nothing compared to today's standards.

In the 60's the Ford sponsored Trans AM racers (Parnell Jones etc) all ran on Firestone tires.  Goodyear was a GM tire than.  From experience CHP equipped Mustangs sit 2 inches lower than standard and GT Mustangs of the day.   Hope this helps.
  You would be guessing wrong. I have seen a number of the Mustang CHP versions .One K code variety owned by a local for many years stands out because it went through a through bumper to bumper restoration that I helped with 2 years ago. As circumstances would have it a almost identical optioned K code w/chp was also being restored at the same time in the same shop.We had two others show up at the MCA national in Des Moines  a few years ago. One owner had a set of the rare and odd high speed factory tires. None of them had a massive 1 1/8 bar that I can remember. I have one on my 68 Shelby Trans Am Team car so I am familiar with that size look.  67 Shelby concours judges are familiar with the competition handling package because all 67 Shelby's had the competition handling package as part of the Shelby base package. There is a detailed CHP listing of the parts used in the package on the Shelby add and delete sheets that accompanied the base car down the Ford San Jose assemblyline. The 15/16 bar is specifically mentioned by size (.95) in the com petion handling package listing of parts in those documents. I would like to know where you got the idea that the 15/16 sway bar was used on non CHP regular Mustangs. The stock bar is much thinner. Why don't you ask a few here to measure theirs for you if you are convinced the 15/16 bar was stock. You certainly don't believe me. The 15/16 bar was not the normal swaybar but a larger diameter upgraded CHP bar according to the Ford documents that accompany the Shelby's down the Ford San Jose assemblyline.  I would be interested in knowing what you think the part number and or engineering number is for a 1 1/8 front sway bar you seemed convinced was used on the package as you claim. What sway bar bushings would it use? What metal sway bar brackets for the bushings were used? Certainly not the typical heavy duty sway bar brackets that came on the Shelby's and that Scott Fuller now reproduces. It would be informative to help me understand your point of view if you can share other factory documentation on the sway bar aspect of the package. This must be a new part that I have overlooked and want to know more about it.  Would you possibly have a picture?  I am a little hesitant to pass the info on to the other CHP K code and 390 cars in the area without some reasonable proof . They must have the wrong bar if your claims are valid. They have the hard to find 15/16 sway bar like the Shelby on their cars.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:56:19 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
............. Which was why the article was originally written in 1994, because MCA judges had never seen one at the time of the article. ......................

Not exactly sure of which article your referring to but if its the one I saw it was not written by a person that has ever been a MCA judge nor possible ever belonged to the club

I for one have owned a Comp suspension 67 and have seen a handful up close (as well as my fair share of 67 Shelby's ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rwrose298

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »
Ford gave the CHP Galaxie hubcaps.  The Thunderbird were dealer installed, for those that did not like the San Jose plant provided ones.  The tires were Firestone "Sport Car 200" 6.50/6.70X15 (E70X15) tube type tires.  From my original spare.  Speed rated at 170 MPH (per window sticker).  The Original shock in the package were 1 5/8 3 way adjustable (like Gabriel Adjustable E's) shocks.  To get the package you had to purchase the "K" or "S" engine and the GT package.  So "C" and "D" code engine did not qualify for CHP.  Other parts of the package included heavier front sway bar, heavier duty radiator, equa-lock rear end, 2.5 lock to lock manual steering and 3.25 gear ratio. Ford rolled the inter fender lip up, so when the tires rubbed backing up the lip did not get pulled down like a lot of Mustangs did when the owner installed wider tires.

According to Marti Ford delivered 195 CHP vehicles, Fastbacks received the most at 141, Coupes came in second at 33 and 21 convertibles received the package.  This was a one year only option for the Mustang too.  Without a original window sticker or Marti report that searches for CHP, non-original owners will have a hard time knowing they own a CHP vehicle.  One way that I have found is that CHP equipped vehicles stand 2 inches lower than its stock brother.  But over time and various owners someone could lower their standard or GT Mustang.

The next great thing to know from Marti is what the engine breakdown is on the CHP vehicles, how many got "K" and how many got the "S" code.  There is likely more "K" code CHP than the "S" since SCCA had a Classes for them.  I do not remember any Mustangs competing with Corvettes and Cobras, which would probably the Class for the "S" code CHP vehicles.

I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery on the CHP and helps those that would like to know if their Mustang is 1 of the 195 of the  472,121 Mustangs build in 1967.
I attached a picture of the original CHP tires.  You should be able to enlarge and read the tire data.  You can see that the tire still has it's original tube (not tubeless), also stated on the tire along the rim.
GT67SCHP

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
Ford gave the CHP Galaxie hubcaps.  The Thunderbird were dealer installed, for those that did not like the San Jose plant provided ones.  The tires were Firestone "Sport Car 200" 6.50/6.70X15 (E70X15) tube type tires.  From my original spare.  Speed rated at 170 MPH (per window sticker).  The Original shock in the package were 1 5/8 3 way adjustable (like Gabriel Adjustable E's) shocks. ...................

Never heard of adjustable "E"s   are you taking the info from a window sticker or what you found on your car?

Ford rolled the inter fender lip up, so when the tires rubbed backing up the lip did not get pulled down like a lot of Mustangs did when the owner installed wider tires.

When was your car built. Ford rolled the front fenders on all Mustangs equipped with the wide Oval tires after a certain point in the year (don't have the date handy) not just Comp Suspension cars

............., non-original owners will have a hard time knowing they own a CHP vehicle.  One way that I have found is that CHP equipped vehicles stand 2 inches lower than its stock brother.  But over time and various owners someone could lower their standard or GT Mustang.

Never noticed any of the sitting lower - discovered mine just by driving - it was a completely different feeling /handling than other S codes I had owned  Don't see anything in the equipment list take would produce a lower stance and with a K code it should have produced a nose high stance like the Shelbys one would think unless someone has been playing with the car - not unusual for cars like this normally purchased for a specific use

The next great thing to know from Marti is what the engine breakdown is on the CHP vehicles, how many got "K" and how many got the "S" code.  There is likely more "K" code CHP than the "S" since SCCA had a Classes for them.  I do not remember any Mustangs competing with Corvettes and Cobras, which would probably the Class for the "S" code CHP vehicles.
[/quote]

|Don't think so (Corvettes and Cobras) during the era since those are two seaters
Jeff Speegle

Offline rwrose298

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
Jeff it appears that I was wrong on the 1.125 sway bar on mine.  I am including picture you requested of it.  It just under or over 1 inch in Dia. 

Adjustable "E"’s were shocks made by the Gabriel Shock Company in the 60's and 70's that were three way adjustable and 1.625 inches in dia.  Since my original shocks were the same color (white) and adjustable, I am assuming that Ford used that shock.  There were no markings on my shocks to indicate that was the case.  During this time period Gabriel was the only shock company that made a shock that was 1.625 inches in dia. too.  Monroe and other private label manufactures only made the traditional 1 inch shocks. It would have been a lot cheaper for Ford to buy them from Gabriel then build shocks to use on 2,000 plus vehicles (Mustangs and Shelby's).  Since others are saying CHP vehicles are Ford's version of the Shelby suspension wise.  I will assume they had them too.

Production on my vehicle started April 20, 1967, the rolled inter fender lip was noticeable to me back then after seeing others of that time period driving around with their inter lip below the wheel cutout.  The result to backing and turning the wheel as the groves on the tire caught the edge of the inner lip.  Also having had that same problem on my father's 65 GT, I figured I’s have to bend them up myself.  Wider tires helped, but depending on how hard you turned the wheel you could do it with regular tire too.

As for getting Marti to provide an engine break down for CHP vehicle that would be great.  Attached is what he provided for me.  I am not sure if he’s saying two CHP vehicles were produced with “S” code or two of the “S” code in Acapulco Blue can with CHP.  Before anyone asks there were two reasons why I picked the “S” over the “K”, first was warranty “K” code 3,000 miles or 90 days, “S” code 50,000 miles or 3 years.  The second my father’s 289 got 10 to 15 MPG.  I figured the big block in the lighter body would get better mileage, I was correct 12 to 16.  The 16 did not make a difference if I did 65 or 120.

As I stated earlier I did not notice the car sitting lower than other mustangs until a neighbor asked why it was lower than his.  This was in 1968 -1969 time span.  Long before people started making lowering kits and other ways to make ones vehicle their own.   After 46 (unrestored) years it still looks and sits at the same (close to) height and does not show the signs some Mustangs have, of having the front higher than the rear.  It seems harder to get in and out of it these days, but I think that is more my problem than its.  I’m not in my 20’s any longer.  Not quite showroom condition, but close.
GT67SCHP

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
Here is a CHP on a 67 convertible that belongs to a friend of mine from Iowa.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Adjustable "E"’s were shocks made by the Gabriel Shock Company in the 60's and 70's that were three way adjustable and 1.625 inches in dia.  Since my original shocks were the same color (white) and adjustable, I am assuming that Ford used that shock.  There were no markings on my shocks to indicate that was the case.

If they were original to the car they would not have been white originally and would have had AUTOLITE or possibly FoMoCo if they were left overs.

If they are white and lack that marking then they are IMHO over the counter replacements since the plant would have had the correct ones available for the build

During this time period Gabriel was the only shock company that made a shock that was 1.625 inches in dia. too.  Monroe and other private label manufactures only made the traditional 1 inch shocks. It would have been a lot cheaper for Ford to buy them from Gabriel then build shocks to use on 2,000 plus vehicles (Mustangs and Shelby's).  Since others are saying CHP vehicles are Ford's version of the Shelby suspension wise.  I will assume they had them too.

Not sure where your measuring but a number of other suppliers made shocks that (though not adjustable) were physically the same  as far as the rear ones with. I often used these old cores to make "stand-ins" for people without the originals.

Production on my vehicle started April 20, 1967, the rolled inter fender lip was noticeable to me back then after seeing others of that time period driving around with their inter lip below the wheel cutout. .................

The rolled fenders on cars with wide ovals (no mention in Ford documents I've found mention the 15 CHP wheels) after Ford "discovered" the rubbing issue. This was covered in a Dealer rep meeting in 67 that was documented in a confidencal report I have a copy of

As I stated earlier I did not notice the car sitting lower than other mustangs until a neighbor asked why it was lower than his.  This was in 1968 -1969 time span.  Long before people started making lowering kits and other ways to make ones vehicle their own.   After 46 (unrestored) years it still looks and sits at the same (close to) height and does not show the signs some Mustangs have, of having the front higher than the rear.  It seems harder to get in and out of it these days, but I think that is more my problem than its.  I’m not in my 20’s any longer.  Not quite showroom condition, but close.

The big block might also contribute to the stance since 67 Shelbys - especially GT350s sit high in the front end
Jeff Speegle