Author Topic: 1970 Trunk Light  (Read 1749 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 Trunk Light
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
My car did not originally have a trunk light, but would like to install one. Do I need a different wiring harness from the dash to trunk or can I use the same one and where does the trunk light connect to that harness?
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1970 Trunk Light
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
The tail-light harness came in two versions: with and without a green/yellow wire that powers the trunk lamp.  If your tail-light harness does not have this wire, you'll have to manufacture one or find one (I have one or two of them).  These wires and/or tail harnesses with this wire are not reproduced, so these wires are somewhat in demand.  The proper wire has a male red bullet up front, which makes it somewhat unique across all of the years of Mustangs. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:06:24 PM »
If it's there, you my have to fish around a little for it.  Here is a picture.  It looks like a red firecracker in the photo, back on top of the wheel housing.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:11 AM »
Thanks guys, checked my harness and it does not have the female plug, so I am guessing I need to run a wire from the dash fuse box to that area.
Midlife did you say you have this wire that runs from the dash to the wheel tub area? and is it yellow and green with the red female end??

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »
Thanks guys, checked my harness and it does not have the female plug, so I am guessing I need to run a wire from the dash fuse box to that area.
Midlife did you say you have this wire that runs from the dash to the wheel tub area? and is it yellow and green with the red female end??
The one I have that is readily available is cut off prior to the female bullet; I think I have another one buried in my bin of 69/70 tail-lights.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:01:06 AM »
I would be interested in the wire if it is color correct with the correct female bullet plug and it would go all the way up to the under dash fuse box.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:58:44 AM »
I just prepared one for another customer and I have 3 more that I can extract out of existing good cores, which accounts for a $25 cost.  This wire doesn't go to the fuse box, but to a two wire red colored molded female bullet near the headlight connector and tail-light connectors.  1970 is the only year that has this female bullet in the underdash harness for direct connection.  This wire is embedded in the tail-light harness braiding, so all of the braiding has to be cut away for me to extract this single wire.  Once out, the only thing you can do is tape it to your existing harness or send it to someone who can re-braid the entire harness.  Rhode Island Wiring is one company that I know of that can do that.

If you want one, simply PM or e-mail me.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:44 AM »
Great information regarding the routing of the wire, will look at my under dash harness and see if I can find the red female connector point. Have sent you and email also

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »
Nothing seen in e-mail or PM's. 

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:57 AM »
sorry a newbie don't know how to do PM, have tried but no luck, checked to see if email was delivered, yes delivered to harnesses@fusemail.com
I believe I have the correct trunk light, which the wire you have and I need connects to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:38:24 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
I've sent you an e-mail; I still haven't seen anything from you.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
This is the only red female plug I can find on my under dash wiring harness, it is a single wire with 3 outlets, would this be the correct one to plug into??

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »
This is the only red female plug I can find on my under dash wiring harness, it is a single wire with 3 outlets, would this be the correct one to plug into??
No, that is for accessories that need dash lamps. 

My bad: I confused the 69 with the 70's version.  The 69 has a red female bullet located near the headlight switch.  In 1970, the trunk light gets its power from an interconnect harness between the clock harness and the map light/glove box harness.  This interconnect harness has a red female bullet is a rare piece, and I have never seen one.  Based upon the schematics, it appears that there is a green/yellow lead that goes over to the driver's side where it would mate with the tail-light harness, which would contain the mating male bullet, but only if the car came with the map/glove box circuit.  That explains why so few of my tail-light harnesses have this feature: it is specific to the special order, perhaps the visibility group? 

If you do not have that interconnect harness, you'll need to simply tap into the green/yellow wire that goes to the driver's side door jamb and splice in a female bullet to mate with the male bullet of the tail-light.