Author Topic: NOS Speedometer cable. What black paint/ vinyl dye will adhere to the housing?  (Read 1307 times)

1967 eight barrel

I am about to the point to reinstall my speedometer cable. The NOS Ford unit I have is gray. I have to change it to a black housing. Has anyone found a product that will adhere to the housing well? I thought I'd use black Vinyl dye, as I have to shoot the roll bar as well, because they got overspray on it.
I'm all eyes on suggestions.
                                                                                                          -Keith

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
It's going to be very difficult to keep the cable from getting scuffed/scratched when installing.  Regardless, try using SEM vinyl dye.  Light coats, you don't want to flow the paint.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I am about to the point to reinstall my speedometer cable. The NOS Ford unit I have is gray. I have to change it to a black housing. Has anyone found a product that will adhere to the housing well? I thought I'd use black Vinyl dye, as I have to shoot the roll bar as well, because they got overspray on it.
I'm all eyes on suggestions.
                                                                                                          -Keith
This is not what you want to hear but I don't remember how many times others myself included have tried what you are attempting with less then satisfactory results. What you are attempting is a waste of time IMO. Been there done that. My suggestion would be to sell the NOS speedometer on ebay and buy one of the nice repro cables from Mansfield that is if you can't find a nice used or original speedo cable. You will not be satisfied with the results once you try installing the newly painted cable as it will skin off the black paint with little trouble..
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

That would be just my luck. I guess the up-side is the engine is still out, the down side. Long term maintenance.
                                                                                                                       -Keith