Author Topic: Paint Dab Questions  (Read 1911 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Paint Dab Questions
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
What kind of paint do you guys use to replicate these and is there a special technique at all?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline kevin1221

Re: Paint Dab Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
I actually used Testors model paint, along with a fairly thin brush (approx 1/8 inch) If needed, I applied several swipes next to each other. My car was restored in 1999, and I've freshened up the daubs twice since then.

I am happy with how the paint held up.

Kevin
Kevin
Tampa FL
1966 Mustang Sprint 200ci Six - Automatic
Scheduled Build date : 7-7-66 - Dearborn
MCA Concourse Gold winner (Multiple)
MCA Conservator Award
AACA Sr Grand National 1st (Repeat)

Currently own 2008 Shelby GT

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »
What kind of paint do you guys use to replicate these and is there a special technique at all?
This is not a easy question to answer because techniques could differ with year ,plant , and depending on the particular part in question. The testers paints are always good as mentioned ,others use a assortment of spray cans to portion out small amounts that would normally harden up in the small pint size paint cans. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Most daubs (in my experience) can not be done with colors directly out of store bought containers so what ever you get needs to be compatible with other products you use. Also brand depends on how much paint you will need ( I do a fair amount of these and find that the Testor bottle are too small in mnay cases for my use.

Then as Bob mentioned it depends on the specific mark since some are brushed, applied with a paint bottle or with spray.

SO I have a box with 8-10 rattle cans (use the tops at times for mixing) a couple oc cheap ice cube trays for mixing, an old magazine for spraying and daubing stamps into (plenty of people have watch that demonstration at shows), about 50 small jars of model and craft paint as well as some pints of Rustoleum and the like
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
I would recommend paint sold by Quanto for the following. For The school bus yellow for power steering, suspension and other yellow marks use Q-102. The green for suspension Q-119. Both of these are spot on. The pink is way too pale. Orange has limited use on my car but looks good.