Author Topic: Gun Blueing  (Read 5879 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Gun Blueing
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »
Wire wheels are not usually brass for grinders. If the surface is shiny, so will the blueing be shiny I have been using it for firearms for 30 years.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
I work it back (lessen the bluing) with steel wool after the process to the fresh metal look. Have no problem with some shinny surfaces in areas especially where the metal was streched during the forming of the part

Have been using the gun blue repair fluid for over 30 years now also but mostly on car parts ;) So allot of different looks and final finishes from one product
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 01:01:12 AM »
I was using a fine wire wheel and when I applied the blue it was a bright shiny blue. Brass is quite different, perhaps that's why you didn't wind up with gloss.
As for firearms, I usually actually go the full polish route, which yields a very bright blue. I am going to toy with the hot process and see how that works. I just noted that blasted bolts tend to look more like the finish that AMK applies.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
I was using a fine wire wheel and when I applied the blue it was a bright shiny blue. Brass is quite different, perhaps that's why you didn't wind up with gloss. ...

Nope - no need for me to color brass at this point. Are you burnishing in the blueing?

I'm simple brushing or dipping/soaking the piece
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »
I have been lazy and using the Perma blue, which I usually apply with the large swabs they offer. Glass bead looks great with the Perma blue. I wire wheeled the E-brake idler, lever and clevis. They came out like a blued firearm. Not the finish I was looking for. The blasting with the fine glass bead looks great, and correct for Phos and oil finishes.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
........... The blasting with the fine glass bead looks great, and correct for Phos and oil finishes.

Yes have used the bluing to reproduce phosphate & oil look in a pinch. In the new shop I've got to put a micro wave in so I can heat of the phosphate chemicals in very small batches so I can use that instead of using the bluing but until then ;)
Jeff Speegle