Author Topic: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven  (Read 15526 times)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
no such class name.
5F09C331248

Offline Predator5S-0149

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »
I am not familiar with that class. I thought Division III A was the only Unrestored class. For our cars, 1974-1993, that would be class URB.

Very curious, what was the class designation written on your dash card?

It was URB, but when registering they ask driven or trailered. There is no purpose in specifying that if they are judged together imp. I guess they are still judged off same rules. Just my opinion that a battery that is as close as correct as you can get should count against a car driven to show. My car did very well considering it was driven to show.  Only lost 9 points including the 6 for battery. With bonus points was +1. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:06:18 PM by Predator5S-0149 »
1985 Mustang GT 3,900 orig. miles
1985 Mustang Twister II/Predator GT-302 5S-0149

Offline KevinK

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
As you have learned, the battery can be a big hit on points. Use the bonus points to make up the difference as they are a lot cheaper to obtain.  Keep tabs on the other areas of the car which can loose points and make improvements there.

That's just how the game works at the MCA.

As for tires, my guess they thought it would be too difficult to keep track of which tires came of various models.  Brands and models of tires seem to change every 6-12 months.  Frankly, any reproduction tire would not pass as an original due to DOT markings.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline hopeto

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
Both tire and battery concerns are answered by the following rule IMO.

From the Unrestored rules:
UNRESTORED MUSTANG RULES
Unrestored cars are usually low mileage with original factory parts and equipment as ordered. These cars will be judged on originality by Thoroughbred standards with reproduction or updated Ford Service Replacement parts not acceptable.

What is not clear about "reproduction or updated Ford Service Replacement parts not acceptable."?
If you don't have the original battery then a total deduction.
If you don't have the original tires (date code correct - not replacements) then total deduction.
Partial deductions in those areas would be based on condition.

I think some of the previous answers thought you were competing in Concours Driven before you clarified you were in URB - Unrestored.
There is no difference in judging for trailered or driven in Unrestored.

BTW, Predator5S-0149, Great score in URB. Keep up the good work.

Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline VASCJ

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »
I have a 58c from my 89GT if it eases someone show pain. I paid dearly for it, so it ain't cheap. PM for details.

Offline 92LX

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
I lose 6 points for my battery and I show in CDK (Concoure Driven) Yes I have a Motorcraft BXT-58 replacement battery, which the rules for concoures say I can have but lose the full 6 points. No one can tell me why! HERE IS WHAT THE RULES SAY:

Battery: Must be correct group & size Motorcraft battery for year and model. 2 point deduction for incorrect group in Concours classes. Must be original in Unrestored & Thoroughbred classes or 6 point deduction. 6 point deduction for non-Motorcraft battery, no exceptions ... 6
Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................... 2

Offline KevinK

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
While I don't recall off the top of my head what the correct group is for a 92, I would expect a partial credit for the Motorcraft battery. While you may have planned to enter Concours Driven class, you may want to check the actual judging sheet to see what class was used. It's possible it may have been judged in a different class such as URB.

You don't list a location or show so it's impossible to guess which show you attended. I suggest you contact the actual judge on the sheet and get his take on it. The only way to fix the problem is by understanding who might be in error.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline 92LX

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
BX-58C should be the correct (original)for the 92 Feature.

Ford part no: BXT-58 replacement--this is what I have

CDK is the same as I always show in since Mar. 2010 The last show (MCA National) was Grovetown, Ga. May 2015
6 points possible---  6 points deductions -not original on the Judging sheet

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
BX-58C should be the correct (original)for the 92 Feature.

Ford part no: BXT-58 replacement--this is what I have

CDK is the same as I always show in since Mar. 2010 The last show (MCA National) was Grovetown, Ga. May 2015
6 points possible---  6 points deductions -not original on the Judging sheet

I am a 79-93 MCA National Concours judge.  MCA is always open to questions. You can always ask why a certain score was given.  We don't try to tear a car apart.  We try to help you make it better by telling you what needs to be fixed. 

Take care
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6