Author Topic: Help identifing original 1966 Shelby steel hood ?  (Read 6351 times)

Offline c7zx500

Help identifing original 1966 Shelby steel hood ?
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
    Hello, am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have what I think is an original 1966 Shelby all steel hood in my garage for the last 20 years.  Finally got it out the other day and am looking for information about how to identify it as to being authentic ? Were these limited to early production ? Not much info out there I can find. It's an all steel hood with steel scoop.  4 to 5 coats of paint, and light sanding revealed Blue with white stripes.       Any info greatly appreciated and let me know if I should have posted this in a different section ?.    c7zx500

Our cars are 1967 GT-500 4sp #998 and 1970 GT-500 Convertible with AT #2658

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Help identifing original 1966 Shelby steel hood ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:18:27 AM »
Lets start with the stamping date from the inner liner.

There are a couple versions of this not so successful hood ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline c7zx500

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »
   I think this is what you refer to. Posting photo of what I found. The stamping appears to be reversed on the hood ??
   Read an article that is was located on the rear cross arm on the driver's side and indicates  production date.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
Well, as far as I know the hole under the hood is round, not oval on an original hood.
6S923 came with an original steel hood with a round hole. See picture.
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »
   I think this is what you refer to. Posting photo of what I found. The stamping appears to be reversed on the hood ??

Yes reversed

Do you read the date starting with a 8 or 6? since you can see it in person ;)

The Pigeon steel  hoods came in both the round and larger (oval?) cut outs. Here is an original car with the larger cut out - 6S2268. Great car I've known for almost 40 years

Date on the frame would possibly make it too late for being an original hood but will compare some other dates for very late cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline c7zx500

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
     Stampings look to read    8  27  2? 

I was told this hood was off a 66 Shelby that was totaled here in the Pacific Northwest years ago. I also purchased the Ray Brown seat belts and what I was told was an "optional" wood wheel from the same car.  Would any of those items have any useful insight as to the car they were from?  c7zx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
     Stampings look to read    8  27  2? 

I was told this hood was off a 66 Shelby that was totaled here in the Pacific Northwest years ago. I also purchased the Ray Brown seat belts and what I was told was an "optional" wood wheel from the same car.  Would any of those items have any useful insight as to the car they were from?  c7zx

Too vague to narrow it down to a specific car I believe unless there is someone local (in that part of the country) that remembers that particular car. Of course that would not prove that the hood was original to the car since many of these hoods were sold to body shops as replacement parts - especially in SoCal

Looking at other hood dates the 8 looks to be too late for a Shelby  or if your looking to Aug 65, too early for that style of cut out.  Just going by the info I have currently.

For someone not concerned with date codes it might be a keeper
Jeff Speegle

Offline c7zx500

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »

Thank you for all the info you were able to provide.  I'll turn my attention to identifying the wood steering wheel that came with this hood next, so will start a new topic for that.  Thanks again  c7zx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
I'll turn my attention to identifying the wood steering wheel that came with this hood next, so will start a new topic for that.  Thanks again  c7zx

Try reading this this thread (over on the SAAC site) might help with many of your questions

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=23101.0
Jeff Speegle

Offline acman63

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
    Hello, am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have what I think is an original 1966 Shelby all steel hood in my garage for the last 20 years.  Finally got it out the other day and am looking for information about how to identify it as to being authentic ? Were these limited to early production ? Not much info out there I can find. It's an all steel hood with steel scoop.  4 to 5 coats of paint, and light sanding revealed Blue with white stripes.       Any info greatly appreciated and let me know if I should have posted this in a different section ?.    c7zx500

Our cars are 1967 GT-500 4sp #998 and 1970 GT-500 Convertible with AT #2658

steel hoods with steel scoops have a round hole  .  its possible someone modified this but improbable .  Be hard to fix this back but not impossible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:08 PM »
Jim have to respectfully disagree on this detail - as mentioned have a number of original paint cars (some original owners) with the larger cut out hood

Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »
My first thought was someone modified the hole, its not symetrical and there appear to be marks on the bottom of the scoop from a rubbing air cleaner?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
My first thought was someone modified the hole, its not symetrical and there appear to be marks on the bottom of the scoop from a rubbing air cleaner?

Agree    c7zx500's posted pictures has irregular shape of the cut out and may indicate/support the idea that its not an original
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
How did Pigeon fabricate hoods? Were they using hoods from Ford that already had the outer panel welded to the inner? If so, what method did they use to cut and flange the opening?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »
How did Pigeon fabricate hoods? Were they using hoods from Ford that already had the outer panel welded to the inner? If so, what method did they use to cut and flange the opening?

My understanding is that they got standard Mustang hoods, cut and added the scoops at their location. Shelby had issues with them and a fair number were sold as replacement body parts around southern Cal

Don't know anyone that has found any documentation or workers that could describe the process as of yet.

Jeff Speegle