Author Topic: 65 SJ Power steering paint markings  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Rick D

65 SJ Power steering paint markings
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
Sorry I didn't split this off earlier....

May 65 San Jose A code automatic GT coupe with PS & A/C. 

I have found:  1 light blue blotch on the bottom of the idler arm.  1 medium green blotch/stripe on the idler arm mounting rod.  Light blue blotches (quarter sized) on both ends of the tie rods.  3 are fairly vivid, one is pretty faint and worn off.  I'm assuming that is blue too since it is so faint and worn.  The long center drag link bar has 2 stripes that go all the way around the bar.  They are about 1" wide and located just inside the two center bolt holes.  The light blue one is toward the control valve end and a light pink one is near the opposite end.  The power cylinder has a light blue mark that was put on from above.  It is about an inch wide and 2 to 2 1/2 inches long running parallel to the cylinder.  The nuts on the connecting sleeve on the tie rods (the correct name of this part escapes me right now) on the passenger side each have a small red mark.  This seems to be just on the nuts not on the bolt threads.  I can't find this on the driver side.  Should the red be there too? Is there anything else i should be hunting for? 

Spindles:  The right one seems original.  It is a C5DA-3107-B.  Looking from the wheel side there is a pink and a yellow mark side by side on the horizontal arm.  Looking from the underside of the car, there is a pink mark on the horizontal arm and a yellow mark on the bottom bolt hole knuckle.  There MIGHT be a white mark on the very end of the horizontal arm where the tie rod attaches.    The left one is a C6OA-3108 which I think is off a 67 so its markings don't matter.  Would the left spindle have been similar to the right or would it have had a different color combination?

The steering box appears original and the date code is right but I can make no sense of markings.  It either had several...I'm seeing blue, pink, and maybe yellow too.  Or, there was a lot of paint transfer.  What I mean is that there is no identifiable shape (Blotch or stripe) in any of the colors.  There are just tiny BB size flecks of paint here and there.  With the combination I described, can anyone advise me on what I might expect to see on that steering box?   Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:21:25 PM by J_Speegle »
66 GT Convertible, A code (3rd owner)
San Jose built, Sacramento raised until 97
Body 76B, Color T, Int F3, Date 13A, DSO 72, Axle A, Trans 5

65 GT Coupe, A Code (in progress)
San Jose built (Saved from TX junkyard)
Body 65B, Color D, Int 67, Date 05S, DSO 72, Axle 1, Trans 6  (white top, A/C, PS)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 SJ Power steering paint markings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 02:12:29 AM »
May 65 San Jose A code automatic GT coupe with PS & A/C. 

I have found:  1 light blue blotch on the bottom of the idler arm.  1 medium green blotch/stripe on the idler arm mounting rod.  Light blue blotches (quarter sized) on both ends of the tie rods.  3 are fairly vivid, one is pretty faint and worn off.  I'm assuming that is blue too since it is so faint and worn.  The long center drag link bar has 2 stripes that go all the way around the bar.  They are about 1" wide and located just inside the two center bolt holes.  The light blue one is toward the control valve end and a light pink one is near the opposite end.  The power cylinder has a light blue mark that was put on from above.  It is about an inch wide and 2 to 2 1/2 inches long running parallel to the cylinder.  The nuts on the connecting sleeve on the tie rods (the correct name of this part escapes me right now) on the passenger side each have a small red mark.  This seems to be just on the nuts not on the bolt threads.  I can't find this on the driver side.  Should the red be there too? Is there anything else i should be hunting for? 

You mention the center link with two marks -

Take a look on the strut rods and steering stops also for marks

Spindles:  ...................... Would the left spindle have been similar to the right or would it have had a different color combination?

Typically if they are original I've found the same marks on the driver's and passenger's spindles.. As Charles mentioned earlier Yellow and pink (large messy paint marks applied with a big brush ) are the nor for your car and time period

The steering box appears original and the date code is right but I can make no sense of markings.  It either had several...I'm seeing blue, pink, and maybe yellow too.  Or, there was a lot of paint transfer.  What I mean is that there is no identifiable shape (Blotch or stripe) in any of the colors.  There are just tiny BB size flecks of paint here and there.  With the combination I described, can anyone advise me on what I might expect to see on that steering box?   

Well you could see nothing on the final product if yours was one that had been blacked out on the line. If the drips and paint missed the sides you might see signs of blue and maybe white from other PS applications. Do show some AW boxes with yellow also

You can sometimes find blue from engine repaints also :(  but that will look like spray rather than brush applied but drips and dots can be misleading IMHO
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:22:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:02:17 AM »
Think I found the same mark on my driver side outer tie rod. Didn't find any of the other tie rods. Would the same mark appear on those? A code power steering, San Jose Oct 64
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:23:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »
Think I found the same mark on my driver side outer tie rod. Didn't find any of the other tie rods. Would the same mark appear on those? A code power steering, San Jose Oct 64

Your is the first I've seen for a 65 San Jose but have on 65s from other plants. Appear to identify the PS tie rod ends so yes both of them were likely originally marked
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:24:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
So G Wood (user name) and I have been in contact before and he sent me some pics back in December of his suspension marks he found.  Our cars are pretty close in scheduked build date.  He also found a light blue mark on his what I think is driver side outer tie rod but he sent me another pic and the passenger side (I believe) appears to be brown?  Could it be that the passenger side outer tie rod would be brown since that was the same for both manual and power steering?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:24:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
So G Wood (user name) and I have been in contact before and he sent me some pics back in December of his suspension marks he found.  Our cars are pretty close in scheduled build date.  He also found a light blue mark on his what I think is driver side outer tie rod but ...

Looks like it might be a version of red - similar to one of the tones/tints applied to the front coil springs In any case that is different from what (as mentioned above) on another  car.  Have more examples showing only marks on the drivers side tie rod for 65 than for the passenger side

....he sent me another pic and the passenger side (I believe) appears to be brown?  Could it be that the passenger side outer tie rod would be brown since that was the same for both manual and power steering?

That would only be true if the mark was used to identify the individual part before it was preassembled into the subassembly and not an identifier of a completed PS linkage assembly

Now to add another twist I have a picture of a drivers side 65 non-PS tie rod end marked blue also
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
So I looked at my other tie rods again. Can't find anything on the two inner tie rods. Cleaned up the passenger side outer tie rod and may have found some of the brown left. I can't tell. It is towards the bottom. Again I don't know for sure. Could be a little rust could be the mark.  :-\
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
So I looked at my other tie rods again. Can't find anything on the two inner tie rods. Cleaned up the passenger side outer tie rod and may have found some of the brown left. I can't tell. It is towards the bottom. Again I don't know for sure. Could be a little rust could be the mark.  :-\

Guess you could use a little paint remover or lacquer thinner to test
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 09:08:49 PM »

That would only be true if the mark was used to identify the individual part before it was preassembled into the subassembly and not an identifier of a completed PS linkage assembly

Now to add another twist I have a picture of a drivers side 65 non-PS tie rod end marked blue also

So the tie rods were assembled first as a unit before being installed on the car?  I was looking at Charles' blog on the K code he did a couple of years ago and maybe he can clarify but looks like he may have had brown/reddish on the passenger side outer tie rod.  I believe that car had a January or February 65 build date out of SJ.  Interesting you found blue on the non ps tie rod...My thought/theory was maybe non ps tie rods were marked brown and ps tie rods marked light blue but on the passenger side since the outer tie rod is the same it would be brown.   May be we need more examples or see what others are finding if they have their original tie rods...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:37:36 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:01 PM »
So the tie rods were assembled first as a unit before being installed on the car?

Believe so. Many sub assembles were put together away from the line at somewhat remote stations and the complete group of parts traveled or were delivered to the line. This allowed for more speedy assembly. Likely would have taken 2 or more stations to put on the steering piece by piece

Interesting you found blue on the non ps tie rod...My thought/theory was maybe non ps tie rods were marked brown and ps tie rods marked light blue but on the passenger side since the outer tie rod is the same it would be brown. 

That is why I thought I should mention that finding

May be we need more examples or see what others are finding if they have their original tie rods...

As usual for many of these details
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:46 AM »
The long center drag link bar has 2 stripes that go all the way around the bar.  They are about 1" wide and located just inside the two center bolt holes.  The light blue one is toward the control valve end and a light pink one is near the opposite end. 

Jeff, I haven't taken mine out yet until I get the rest of the suspension together but is this what I should find on an Oct 64 car?  Again don't know if has been messed with but appears to be original to the car...
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe