Author Topic: 70 Sway Bar - clarifications on some markings  (Read 8500 times)

Offline elim

70 Sway Bar - clarifications on some markings
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
This is for a july 69 dearborn
I see green and yellow for the 15/16 sway bar, some have green on drivers side some on other side

On sway bar bushing brackets see also the green and yellow marks

On front strut rod washers some have a sort of robin egg blue some natural

Need to know if there is marks which side is right
These markings are not from unrestored cars but from cars at shows and the net,as we know lot of cars out there just full of marks and splashes from duplicating wrong cars,need an education.THANKS
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:42:15 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: clarifications on some markings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »
Guess we should start with the basics - what kind of car (Mach I, Boss, coupe......) are you looking for confirmation for?   Appears that you are looking at marks from cars of various background and this will IMHO just lead to miss marking and other issues.  Believe this is the basis for some of the confusing findings you have seen - along with migrating paint marks since you've been looking at restored cars ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:17:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline elim

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
It's a 69 Mach with a cobrajet and that's where i try and look only.thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:55:44 AM »
This is for a july 69 dearborn ................. 69 Mach with a cobrajet and that's where i try and look only.thanks

Thanks we can work with that

I see green and yellow for the 15/16 sway bar, some have green on drivers side some on other side

The green yellow is an identifier mark IMHO we first start seeing earlier years on the large front sway bar. Green to the passenger side of the yellow once installed. Of course on originals one or more marks may have not made it through the years

On sway bar bushing brackets see also the green and yellow marks

On front strut rod washers some have a sort of robin egg blue some natural

Have only seen the front sway bar mounting brackets marked as you list on 70 Boss 429 (picture shown on Jack Brook's site)  and I believe the light blue/teal front strut rod bushing washer is related to the larger "heavy duty" suspension that the Boss's and Shelby's were equipped with.  Not sure of the purpose of the yellow/green marks on the sway bar mounts unless they were part of a subassembly and they served as orientation marks for the installers

So these two were possibly borrowed by a restorer or two from another car.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline elim

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
On my Marti says competition suspension would that make the strut washers the light blue or natural.
As you say paint marks get borrowed,saw pics of a KR couldn't believe the amount of marks on it he also had the sway bar brackets painted have seen different color from side to side.I want to add the main one's for when i  display the car(mirrors) but i don't want people to copy cat wrong marks as i do have people ask me.
I did a search found your shelby you did now you screwed me up,saw the end links on the sway bar and the head is on the bottom,this mean i need to turn mine around.Next car i'm going to build a driver and just kick the snot out of it lol,ah it's still fun creating this art least can drive my art instead of hanging on a wall.Thanks again JEFF

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
On my Marti says competition suspension would that make the strut washers the light blue or natural.

Unpainted since it does not have the "big" suspension used on the Boss's and the late Shelby's
Jeff Speegle

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
[quote author=J_

Have only seen the front sway bar mounting brackets marked as you list on 70 Boss 429 (picture shown on Jack Brook's site)  and I believe the light blue/teal front strut rod bushing washer is related to the larger "heavy duty" suspension that the Boss's and Shelby's were equipped with.  Not sure of the purpose of the yellow/green marks on the sway bar mounts unless they were part of a subassembly and they served as orientation marks for the installers

So these two were possibly borrowed by a restorer or two from another car.

Hope this helps
[/quote]

The green and yellow dabs on Boss 429 sway bar brackets note the unique left hand and unique RH Boss 429 only brackets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
The green and yellow dabs on Boss 429 sway bar brackets note the unique left hand and unique RH Boss 429 only brackets.

Thanks for confirming Bob
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »

The green yellow is an identifier mark IMHO we first start seeing earlier years on the large front sway bar. Green to the passenger side of the yellow once installed. Of course on originals one or more marks may have not made it through the years

IMHO, From my research over the years,I don't mean this in a hateful way, but, I think you may have it backwards, Jeff. I think it's green to the drivers side and yellow to the passengers side once the larger sway bar is installed. Bob Perkins, would like to see what your thinking is.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
IMHO, From my research over the years,I don't mean this in a hateful way, but, I think you may have it backwards, Jeff. I think it's green to the drivers side and yellow to the passengers side once the larger sway bar is installed. Bob Perkins, would like to see what your thinking is.

Not Bob, but my original is also yellow on the PS.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »

Thanks - just didn't come out the way I meant it to.   But now that you bring it up I've got about 14 from sway bars (67-71) that were marked backwards for some reason.   And since its kind of hard to install them backwards - must have been someone working at the sway bar supplier.

Almost posted some pictures  -  but its probably best not to post them ;)

Thanks for the correction to the earlier response

Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
I think the green & yellow codes were to ID the size or application of the sway bar & not left or right as most sway bars only have 1 color code. The green & yellow codes on the 69 & 70 boss 429 unique front sway bar brackets (c9zz) were marked so they got installed correctly yellow LH & green RH as they each had a corner trimmed off for clearance to the front inside.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:10 PM »
I think the green & yellow codes were to ID the size or application of the sway bar & not left or right as most sway bars only have 1 color code. .........

IMHO its possible that some served dual purpose (ID and orientation) so that they didn't confuse the workers

But always worth discussing
Jeff Speegle

Offline Aussie

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 03:32:18 AM »
Hi all, I am looking for details of markings on a rear sway bar. Mine is a 1970 351 Mach 1 - CA build.
While here, I thought I post a pic of my front sway bar original markings - mine has Green to the drivers side. Thought this may help.
Any help with the rear bar would be great. I also found a light blue colour on one of the ends - the drivers side.
Gavin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:42:01 AM by Aussie »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for details of markings on a rear sway bar. Mine is a 1970 351 Mach 1 - CA build.
................. I also found a light blue colour on one of the ends - the drivers side.

Haven't seen or have confirmation from other owners of a blue daub on the drivers end but that is where we've been finding identification marks on those so I would suggest you return what you found

Buildsheets I have show a "C" for both H and M code Mach 1's in 70

Jeff Speegle