Author Topic: Rebuilding factory Universal Joints  (Read 2675 times)

Offline bjf1992

Rebuilding factory Universal Joints
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
My '69 428CJ/Auto Cougar still has the original Ford production no zerk 1330 u joints in it. I am doing a concours resto and was wondering if these can be refubred. The car has 89K on it and they felt fine when the car was running.

If they can be what would a rebuild entail? Is there a kit one can purchase??

1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

Offline Rsanter

Re: Rebuilding factory Universal Joints
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Take them out and take them apart
Look at the needles and the surfaces
If everything looks good. No pitting, scoring, no noticeable wear spots.
Then put them together and feel for looseness or play be hand.
If all feels good then grease them and use them

If the little rubber seals look questionable at all, you can buy new U joints and see if you can find a brand where the seals fit and look the same.

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
As Bob mentioned - for a show car I've always purchased new replacement ones and swapped over the rollers and even the cups (if needed) once I've inspected the U joint to make sure its reusable
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
In a situation where the original Universal joints have been replaced before, what vendor or source is recommended for a Concours Corrrect U-Joint? Does this source of a replacement differ between the different years of 65-73 or individual vehicle options?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:24:03 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
In a situation where the original Universal joints have been replaced before, what vendor or source is recommended for a Concours Correct U-Joint?

The only person I know that even advertised having some was Jack at Dead-Nuts-On. Think allot has to do with the liability concerns for vendors. Or just find your own and using new cups and bearing rebuild them yourself

Does this source of a replacement differ between the different years of 65-73 or individual vehicle options?

Not sure of the question. Design is pretty standard though size and specifications vary with application

Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
The only person I know that even advertised having some was Jack at Dead-Nuts-On. Think allot has to do with the liability concerns for vendors. Or just find your own and using new cups and bearing rebuild them yourself

Not sure of the question. Design is pretty standard though size and specifications vary with application

I was told by Jack at Dead Nuts On just yesterday "I stock new caps, bearing and seals that will fit directly on your original u-joints if you need them ($35.00 front & rear set)."

I was asking the same question as the OP ~ I have one original u-joint.  For now I'm going to put new ones on, and keep an eye out for a 2nd original to restore as a set.
New ones at Napa are only ~$50 for the pair.  They offer zerk-less "super heavy duty", and they offer some that have the zerk fitting in the end of the roller/bearing instead of sticking out of the center hub.
I have part numbers handy if you need them.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:05 PM »
New ones at Napa are only ~$50 for the pair.  They offer zerk-less "super heavy duty", and they offer some that have the zerk fitting in the end of the roller/bearing instead of sticking out of the center hub.

The zerk less ones will be the only alternative for some - but something to fill in in the interim, while your looking, might be the best choice since they will still look different from the originals. But much better than the other options
Jeff Speegle