Author Topic: Transmission stamps  (Read 1691 times)

Offline 266ks

Transmission stamps
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
Does anyone have a number 28 stamp for the left side of a toploader? I would be interested in renting or buying the stamp.  Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Transmission stamps
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
Will send you a PM about the assembler's stamp

Guessing your application is for a manual top loader type transmission
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 266ks

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
Jeff I could not get PM to return. I am rebuilding the transmission 4-speed toploader in my 1965 k-code fastback. It had a number 28 and a (yellow X slashed) on the left side. There was a(H T) with an orange dab on the right side. I only need a number 28 stamp.  Thanks Bob

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
Measure the height of the numbers, find a local stamp making shop and get one made. By the time you pay for shipping twice, those fees would have probably equaled or exceeded the cost of a stamp. Remember, printers measure in 72nds of an inch. If you provided them with an exact decimal or fractional measurement, the shop would convert it to 72nds. As to the font, a picture would be the best bet. I tried the ones displayed for forum messages and the "2" is the problem.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:07:20 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
Measure the height of the numbers, find a local stamp making shop and get one made. By the time you pay for shipping twice, those fees would have probably equaled or exceeded the cost of a stamp. .............

As mentioned the Fonts and even size of the font is a challenge. Most stamp places will use what ever standard font they have and a size that is close. I've had a number of shops eat hundreds of dollars of stamps because I wouldn't pay for what they turned out though they guaranteed they would reproduce my stamp (what I provided) 

Their excuse is always the older fonts are no longer available or digitized  and they were just trying to "save me money"   ::)

In 98% of mt stamps I redraw by hand every letter rather than "type" them out using the font even if there is something close.

In this case the assembler number is an odd old font and the transmission type is often mistakenly made using the stencil font - which it wasn't originally

Haven't gotten a reply to my PM by the way   8)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)