Author Topic: 69 Under Body Sound Deadener  (Read 1856 times)

Offline 69eliminator

69 Under Body Sound Deadener
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:51 AM »
Can someone tell me the best product to use to replicate the sound deadener used on for the under body sound deadener?

I  see where Jeff commented on other post describing when to install on certain cars.

Floor application for the Mach I's appears to have been after Ebrake assy were installed as well as brakes, rearend, driveline as well as engine and trans but before exhaust (H pipe rearward since H pipe was attached to engine before installation) 

Would the driveshaft have been installed?

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:05:05 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Under Body Sound Deadener
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
From original examples the driveline and exhaust rearward from the H pipe was not yet installed. This allowed (if the worker was doing their job) to get a pass with the wand down the driveline tunnel behind the trans. Brake & fuel lines as well as E brake cables were already in place so (because each section got a single pass with wand normally) you should see shadows produced behind/ to the side/ above these items on the floor - just like the front frame rail to floor areas

The product is the challenge IMHO You need to find something that will produce the texture and the thickness in a single 2 foot wide single pass. That's allot of product and allot of pressure.  Like all sound deadener applications its part product and part technique so practice is going to be required.  If I had a job that needed to be done now I might look at making my own applicator. But that's me - you only get one shot and my last attempt (though it passed inspection by the judges) I was not proud of.

The application is similar to the front wheel wells since that goes on last also. The saving grace of the front wheel wells is that sharp shadows are not so important in that area.

Added a little more to the title to better direct future viewers ;)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:05:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Under Body Sound Deadener
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
Can anyone describe the proper texture and approximate thickness. Trying to decipher if it should be an asphalt based product and appears to be quite thin i most areas.

Doesn't IMHO have to be composed out of the same material as the original (for many products - it might be illegal to even have the stuff today - alone using it)

Just the look IMHO is the focus

Can be thin where the gun was held at a distance or at the outer reach or thick where the worker was not moving the wand as quickly or much closer to the floow

Would guess that pictures would help more than words - Just choose a few of the hundred or more examples I currently have on file

You can clearly see where the application wand was passed under - leaving gaps and uncoated surfaces between the passes

Real heavy in some areas  - this worker looked like he stalled for a few second right at the back end of the drivers side pass

Of the application can be lighter in one area or pass of the wand and heavier in another like this Dearborn example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)