Author Topic: 67 hood prop rod  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Brian in PA

67 hood prop rod
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:36:06 PM »
Hi Guys!  Does anyone have any info on a prop rod used for the 67 Shelby?  I thought it might be a cool addition to my clone.

Thanks!

Brian
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:54:48 PM by Brian in PA »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 hood prop rod
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
67 Shelby's didn't use one

Still might be helpful/useful
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:27:06 AM »
thanks jeff

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »
Jeff,
I understood some early 1967 Shelby's did. There is no vin information in The Definitive Shelby Mustang Guide 1965-1970, written by Greg Kolasa.
On page 131, bottom two captioned pictures; And I quote: "Some early cars used a Falcon prop rod in lieu of springs on the hinges to hold the hood open. Semicircular brackets on the bottom hood and the inner fender capture the ends of the rod."

Is this an error by Mr. Kolasa in his book?

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
Jeff,
I understood some early 1967 Shelby's did. There is no vin information in The Definitive Shelby Mustang Guide 1965-1970, written by Greg Kolasa.

Its said that some did. I've never seen one that was original and since the OP was attempting to make  his car more like an original I suggest that the prop rod would make more viewers at shows see it as a sign that the car is less like the original - which I think was the purpose. Have pictures of the first 32 67's (missing only a couple) and not one of them has a prop rod

Example - one of the factory drag cars had modified rear wheel wells. Would not suggest that someone building a clone copy that detail

Sure Bob will stop by and provide some additional input
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
Its said that some did. I've never seen one that was original and since the OP was attempting to make  his car more like an original I suggest that the prop rod would make more viewers at shows see it as a sign that the car is less like the original - which I think was the purpose. Have pictures of the first 32 67's (missing only a couple) and not one of them has a prop rod

Example - one of the factory drag cars had modified rear wheel wells. Would not suggest that someone building a clone copy that detail

Sure Bob will stop by and provide some additional input
No logical or concrete evidence to support the prop rod observation as factory. Most likely another urban legend perpetuated to justify a non original part on a car. Books can't evolve with new information or conscientious of opinion unless a second updated edition is printed ,and a third,forth ,fifth etc.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
The reason I posted what I found in the book is because Greg Kolasa is the co-author of the Shelby-American Registry. I would assume he had noted this, or consulted others in the know to maintain accuracy. It also puts the Registry in question to some extent too, doesn't it?  Once again, this isn't questioning you gentlemen, but trying to determine how this kind of misinformation still winds up in print when the writer is who he is and it's listed as a "Definitive Guide".

You would have thought others would have been consulted before this went into print to avoid these kinds of mistakes that we have seen so many times over the years. By the way, I have never seen a real vehicle with a prop rod either.

-Keith
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:56:11 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
its actually funny.  That is where i saw the prop rod at too.  I though it was kinda neat and different.  Also I am having some issues with hood fitment.  With the springs off the hood closes perfect. 8) 8) so the prop rod would be the easy way out ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »
The reason I posted what I found in the book is because Greg Kolasa is the co-author of the Shelby-American Registry. I would assume he had noted this, or consulted others in the know to maintain accuracy. It also puts the Registry in question to some extent too, doesn't it?  Once again, this isn't questioning you gentlemen, but trying to determine how this kind of misinformation still winds up in print when the writer is who he is and it's listed as a "Definitive Guide".

You would have thought others would have been consulted before this went into print to avoid these kinds of mistakes that we have seen so many times over the years. By the way, I have never seen a real vehicle with a pro rod either.

-Keith
There are many authors of the Shelby Amercian registry.  They typically have expertise in specific areas. Greg's is more then anything else GT40 and Hertz car documents and statistics. Disregarding that the information in many instances is still evolving as mentioned before,IMO it is reasonable for any of them to be given a pass on a item or two that may not be accurate out of the thousands that are accurate in the encyclopedia size registry book or information taken from it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
its actually funny.  That is where i saw the prop rod at too.  I though it was kinda neat and different.  Also I am having some issues with hood fitment.  With the springs off the hood closes perfect. 8) 8) so the prop rod would be the easy way out ;)

Brian, Posted an article on hood hinge adjustment in the Shelby section, as I was having the same issue. The idiot painter aligned the hood without the springs on them because he had misplaced the box with them in it. When I drove the 240 miles to pick up the vehicle I decided not to deal with dropping off the trailer and coming back a week or two later again being I don't own a truck.  It was about two months ago and something you will find very helpful if you're suffering from the stink bug effect. 9 Back of the hood sticking up higher than the cowl when you close it.) However, it explains where to start and how the hinges should be positioned for starting the procedure.
                                                                                                                  -Keith