Author Topic: 1967 Shelby Tail lamp seal to body.. What is the best way?  (Read 1310 times)

1967 eight barrel

I have an early vehicle with the "flat panel". The best way I can see to seal them is to use the 3M strip caulk on the inside around the edge of the tail lamp housing and the tail lamp panel before I rivet the tail lamp supports back in. Is this the way most do them, or is there a better way?

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Shelby Tail lamp seal to body.. What is the best way?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:13:02 PM »
That is the way I and many of the shops I deal with do it

Of course the focus here and the shops aren't looking for a better way - just the correct/original way   ;D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

Re: 1967 Shelby Tail lamp seal to body.. What is the best way?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
Well, Jeff. You and I know it isn't the best way, but it was probably the expedient and lowest cost way to deal with it then. Of course, 18.00 a box for strip caulk these days, and I'll bet I use most of a box. I considered using the mastic tape that is used around expansion valves and such for AC. It seems easier and a cleaner way to do it.
I just wanted to make sure it belongs inside around the edges of the lamp, hidden under the lamp supports. Many stories about the exhaust fumes coming into the vehicle, so now is the time to head this issue off at the pass. 

-Keith