Author Topic: Need Advice- Rear Seat Recover?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Need Advice- Rear Seat Recover?
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
I'm having my front bench seat recovered this week.  The question I have is should I redo the back seat as well?  It is original and is 99% perfect.  I'm wondering if I'm better off keeping the rear seat original or should I recover it so that it will match the front vinyl exactly.  I really hate to remove ANY original parts from the car but maybe it needs to be done to get the best results. Thoughts?Comments?  Ideas?  Thanks
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline steve_f

Re: Need Advice- Rear Seat Recover?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
I left my back seat original in my 65 fastback.  There is nothing wrong with it.  I did buy the matching cover as part of the front bucket kit so if something does happen to the original I'll have it. 
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
It won't match, of course.  The old stuff got slicker and shinier, with age.  +1 on steve_f that you'll have the rear upholstery if you want to do it later.

NOTE: I used my old cotton batting and wrapped it with new cheesecloth and used new burlap to make it LOOK new inside.  If I did it again, I'd try the $199 NPD new batting set.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
You can buy Daycron from an auto upholstery shop.  I usually put a layer over the top of the original foam, it helps flow out the seats better and get rid of wrinkles/puckers.

On the seat material, if your rear is really that nice, you might consider searching for nice original or NOS front.  Another option is to have covers made out of good original sections or acquire NOS material and have a new front cover made.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »
Another option might be to purchase both front and back covers, install the fronts and keep the rears. In this way if you later find you can't live with two different covers you can have the rears redone with the same material (it might be different if you purchase rear seat covers at a later date)  at a later date

Or find a second set of rear cushions and store the original rears for a later (possible) date and option
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  At this point I think I'll recover the fronts and the backs so they will match.  I hope to save the original rear upholstery "just in case."   ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
Since you plan on recovering the original wouldn't you rather just leave the original as is and buy a donner rear seat and have that recovered? Save the original untouched. If you never decide to find original fronts you can still have the original seat as it was done by Ford. You could build a little shrine around it in your basement. ;D

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
...my basement is already full of little shrines!!  8)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI