Author Topic: Nugget Gold interior -carpet color  (Read 5671 times)

Offline impaw

Nugget Gold interior -carpet color
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Hello!

This is my first post here, so heres a little introduction.
My name is Torstein,I live in Oslo Norway.
I´ve had Mustangs since I was 20, and the current one is my second Mustang. I´ve had it since 2006 and I got a feeling this Mustang will be with me for life.
The VIN of the Mustang is 8F02C149115.
The Mustang is currently yellow, but its original color is Sunlit gold, and the interior is supposed to be nugget gold ( today its painted black, but the paint is peeling off in places, so I know what color the different panels has had originally ).

My first task is restoring the interior, and here´s my question:

My dashpad is dark brown ( dark nugget? ) and so is the upper parts of the interior, whilst the lower parts are light gold.
I have acquired a Gold colored carpet from Auto custom carpets, color #20. A light gold color.
Would this be a "wrong" color-combination, or were there some Golden Nugget Mustangs that were delivered with a golden carpet?
I´ve been told that most "nuggets" were delivered with either a black or a dark brown carpet.

Any information would be real helpful.
68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Nugget Gold interior -carpet color
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
It should be a very dark brown. I have the same color combination.

I've seen some restored with the carpet you mention and some may have come that way, I don't know for sure but I don't think you would like it as much as dark brown regardless.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:45:03 PM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline impaw

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
Yes, I think you are right ( about me not being happy with the gold carpet ).
I´ll have to contact ACC and get the dark brown carpet.
Would it be possible to see a few pictures of your interior, if you got them easily available on your computer?
68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:12:43 AM »
Yes, I think you are right ( about me not being happy with the gold carpet ).
I'll have to contact ACC and get the dark brown carpet.

Just a note about carpet today.
If your going purchase new carpet check it as soon as it arrives. Some of the companies are getting sloppy and not aligning the carpet in the press be for they make it - this produces carpet where the rows run at a slant rather than across the floor as original. Deducted for a number of these at shows and have been told by many that they have had to return sets for this reason

Also noticed one of the companies has changed how they do the sewed edge of the front section of carpet. Originally (and reproductions in the past) have installed the thread so it wraps from the top surface around the edge and on to the bottom surface. At the last shows I found that some are running it only to the edge (rather than around the edge and under) and holding it down by running an extra stitch along the edge. Need to get a picture of this so I can post it here.

And lastly, since your doing a fastback - inspect the small sections of carpet that will be sent to cover the bottom forward edge of the rear (plastic) quarter trim. Companies for years have supplied these piece with the edge being sewn like the forward section of the floor carpet when originally they were not. This detail has been around for so long (believe since the 70's or at least early 80's) that few know it's not original though Judges are starting to pick up on the detail and deduct for it.

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline impaw

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »
Just a note about carpet today.
If your going purchase new carpet check it as soon as it arrives. Some of the companies are getting sloppy and not aligning the carpet in the press be for they make it - this produces carpet where the rows run at a slant rather than across the floor as original. Deducted for a number of these at shows and have been told by many that they have had to return sets for this reason

Also noticed one of the companies has changed how they do the sewed edge of the front section of carpet. Originally (and reproductions in the past) have installed the thread so it wraps from the top surface around the edge and on to the bottom surface. At the last shows I found that some are running it only to the edge (rather than around the edge and under) and holding it down by running an extra stitch along the edge. Need to get a picture of this so I can post it here.

And lastly, since your doing a fastback - inspect the small sections of carpet that will be sent to cover the bottom forward edge of the rear (plastic) quarter trim. Companies for years have supplied these piece with the edge being sewn like the forward section of the floor carpet when originally they were not. This detail has been around for so long (believe since the 70's or at least early 80's) that few know it's not original though Judges are starting to pick up on the detail and deduct for it.

Hope this helps

Great info Jeff,
Thanks a lot!
I´ll make sure to inspect the carpet closely.

I´ll order a new carpet from Auto Custom Carpets, inc.
Their  color #10 " dark brown" is the correct one i guess?
68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Yes, I can send you some photos. What is your email address, you can send it in a private message if preferred. Thanks
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline impaw

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
Thank you very much!
PM has been sendt.

68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline PetesPonies

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
So did you get your interior back together? I too have a Nugget Gold fast back with coloring exactly like yours. Dark brown carpet and upper panels, with light nugget gold lowers.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Offline impaw

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »
No, not yet.
We´re painting the body this winter, and replacing the windshield.
A perfect opportunity to get the headliner painted as well!
Baby steps :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:37:59 AM by impaw »
68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline impaw

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
Happy new year guys!

I´m slowly piecing my interior together, and have acquired a dark brown carpet from ACC ( Jeff, I have inspected it and everything seems fine ).

A final question concerning the color of the center console:
The padding on top is light nugget gold, but what color should the plastic lower part be?
Is it supposed to be Dark nugget, like the top quarter panels, or should it be light nugget?

68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
...........A final question concerning the color of the center console:
The padding on top is light nugget gold, but what color should the plastic lower part be?
Is it supposed to be Dark nugget, like the top quarter panels, or should it be light nugget?

Sorry check but no Nugget Dearborn interior with console pictures in my files

Do have to offer two San Jose cars with that color and console so they might help a little. As always the center padding tends to change color after sun exposure especially on Cal cars :(   Interesting that both of the examples got the lights in convenience group and the first car is a very very early VIN'ed car #23

Hope something here helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 12:34:48 AM »
The last pic looks like the best representation.  Agree with Jeff that some of these vinyls will fade to weird colors.

If you have an original console in that color, take the pad off and inspect the areas that were not exposed to sunlight.  You can color match and have some vinyl dye made at your local auto paint store.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline impaw

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 04:41:38 AM »
Thanks Jeff, just what I needed.
both the console itself and the padding seems to be light nugget in color ( though the sun has made the colors quite different ).
Thanks!

68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline impaw

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:42 AM »
Thanks Jeff, just what I needed.
both the console itself and the padding seems to be light nugget in color ( though the sun has made the colors quite different ).
Thanks!

I´ve used the SEM version of light nugget on my other parts, and it seems to match up quite well with the original color.
If there´s a difference, I´d say the original seems to have a wee bit more yellow in the mix..
68 Mustang fastback

8F02C149115

Offline dkknab

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 07:25:05 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone.  I know I've asked this question before...my apologies.  I need to make right my carpet. It is currently black.  My interior seat color is nugget gold.  What say you all the color of the carpet? Everything I've read is dark brown. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:14:28 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662