Author Topic: NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..  (Read 5386 times)

Offline NEFaurora

NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »

Subject: NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..

Guys, Check this out...

I just picked up a Brand New Scott Drake '65 High Profile Black Rally-Pac with V8 6000rpm Tach from CJ Pony Parts.  I chose this Rally-Pac even though it's not normally the "Most" physically accurate as compared to an original because normally it does not include the "MUSTANG" or the "FORD" logos printed in the tach area like the originals, and the Fonts in the Clock area are way off and spread out way to far...but I chose the this Rally-Pac because Scott Drake's Rally-Pacs have a DIP SWITCHES on the back of the tach that you can toggle between V8 and 6CYL use.  That was important, because I wanted to use this Rally-Pac in my 6cyl '65 Convertible.

Well, Knowing what I was already getting, When I opened the box of this Brand New '65 Rally-Pac, I was pleasantly SHOCKED to see that the front of this NEW SD Rally-Pac had all of the Correct Original Ford Fonts and the "MUSTANG" printed in the Tach area, and the Clock fonts were all correct and correctly spaced as well!!  Kudos to Scott Drake!! I guess that he finally paid the correct licensing fees to Ford and made the Correct Fonts for the '65 Rally-Pacs!!!  HOORAH!!!  Up until now, The most "Concours Correct" Reproduction Rally-Pacs were those made by Blue Oval Products.

So, Getting back to my Rally-Pac, I thought that I could just open the back of the tach and find the DIP SWITCHES so I could change the tach over to 6cyl...  Simply enough right?? (See pic below of the older previous SD DIP SWITCH setup) Well, That's what I thought. I got a big surprise when I opened up the back of the Rally -Pac tach and what do I find?  A totally new DIP SWITCH setup...  Instead of the old setup as pictured below, The NEW DIP SWITCHES only have TWO DIP SWITCHES instead of the previous THREE DIP SWITCH SETUP.   Now what do I do??  I'd like to set this new tach up for a 6cyl before I box it away.  It probably won't go into the car for at least another year at least.  The NEW TWO DIP SWITCHES are automatically set for a V8.  The #1 Switch is UP, and the #2 Switch is DOWN.   Now, What the hell is the NEW DIP SWITCH setting for 6CYL engines????!??!??  Anyone have any ideas????

OLD SD DIP SWITCH SETTINGS BELOW:

NEW DIP SWITCH SETUP (PIC COMING SOON).

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:51 PM »
I'd contact SD technical department and ask them what settings for I6. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »

That's not a bad idea... I had thought of that before....but I guess that I will give them a call to confirm.  Someone also had suggested that the #1 PIN on the DIP SWITCHES may have been deleted on the newer SD RALLY-PAC tachs, and that the old #2 and #3 DIP SWITCHES (As seen pictured above) are the new #1 and #2 DIP SWITCHES.  They could be right... Well, Somehow or another, I'll find out..

I'll also throw up a pic of the NEW SD DIP SWITCH configuration also..

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
Check it out... Compare it with the pic of the older THREE DIP SWITCH SETUP above.

NEW SD DIP SWITCH SETUP BELOW:

Another angle (Same pic inverted)... NOTE: -Also notice Manufacturing date of 5/2016 in Black ink above DIP SWITCH...

The next step is to contact Scott Drake - Which I will do this week...to see if I can get an answer from them...

Tony K.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:42:39 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »
Ok Guys!  I called Scott Drake today and got an answer!!  I spoke with their technical department!

It appears that as a previous poster suggested earlier that the dip switch differences between the older SD Three DIP SWITCH Setup, and the NEW SD Two DIP SWITCH Setup is that all they did is OMIT/DELETE/ELIMINATE the old #1 DIP SWITCH!  So on the NEW SD RALLY-PAC TACHS with the NEW SD Two DIP SWITCH Setup, The OLD #2 and #3 DIP SWITCHES (pictured above) from the OLD SD Three DIP SWITCH Setup, are now just renumbered DIP SWITCHES #1 and #2 now.   So in effect, NOW, When you get a NEW SD V8 Rally-Pac no matter whether it is a '65 (HIGH Profile) or '66 (LOW Profile) (as pictured in 2nd set of newer pictures above), The NEW SD Two DIP SWITCH Setup is DEFAULTED to V8 settings where the #1 DIP SWITCH is ON (UP), and the #2 DIP SWITCH is OFF (DOWN) - Also as pictured above.

So to simply set the NEW SD Two DIP SWITCH Setup for use on a 170/200 6 cylinder engine, ALL YOU SIMPLY HAVE TO DO IS JUST REVERSE THE TWO #1 and #2 DIP SWITCHES where the #1 DIP SWITCH is OFF (DOWN), and the #2 DIP SWITCH is ON (UP) if you want to use the NEW SD Two DIP SWITCH RALLY-PAC for 6 Cylinder use.

Problem Solved!!  It's great when a solution is found!

Tony K.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:47:35 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
I assume that the settings are for 6,000 rpm tach. What about a 8,000 rpm tach?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »
"I assume that the settings are for 6,000 rpm tach. What about a 8,000 rpm tach?
Jim"

A Great question Jim, and I have the answer.

The NEW DIP SWITCH settings would be the same for the 8,000rpm HiPo tachs as well.  No difference Jim.  Thanks for mentioning that.  I had confirmed that as well with Scott Drake on the phone today. So the DIP SWITCH settings are the same for both 6K and 8K tachs... if you decide to use them either for V8's or 6 cylinder cars.

Scott Drake has now really stepped it up with their NEWLY UPGRADED Concours Rally-Pac(s).  I think that they maybe have even surpassed BLUE OVAL Rally-Pacs and given them a heavy run for their money.  ALL the NEW Scott Drake '65 High Profile Rally-Pac(s) have all the correct Original fonts and Correct FORD/MUSTANG logos unless otherwise mentioned.  I cannot however confirm this for the Scott Drake '66 LOW Profile Rally-Pacs as I have not seen one yet...But they might be updated to Concours Specs now as well as Scott Drake is advertising it in their latest 2016 Online catalog. All these new changes to the Scott Drake Rally-Pacs have been made somewhere around April/May of 2016!  I can only safely assume that Scott Drake has not heavily advertised these NEW Rally-Pac "Concours" changes more all over because they are most likely phasing in the new changes slowly as they get rid of older non-concours Rally-Pac(s) stock.

Check out the new Scott Drake Concours Rally-Pacs when you get a chance!  Same price as the previous Rally-Pacs!   I ordered mine from CJ Pony Parts because I had a $125.00  coupon that I had to use. I was shocked when I opened the box and it was "Concours".  A nice pleasant surprise to say the least!

PS: I'll post a pic of my NEW "Concours" Scott Drake '65 HIGH Profile Rally-Pac when I get a chance tomorrow so you can see the differences between the OLD vs. NEW SD Rally-Pacs.

Tony K.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:26:35 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »
Are these tachs the current-sensing (coil wire in-line) or voltage sensing?  I thought the prior versions of aftermarket rally pacs did not use the in-line tachometers.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

The NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac Tachs are mechanically/electronically just like the previous older SD ones, They are (coil wire in-line) just like any average aftermarket tach...which is good.  You can also use them with pretty much any ignition system even if it has been heavily modified or upgraded with Petronix, Mallory, etc. 

The Blue Oval brand reproduction OEM type Rally-Pacs run and hook up just like the original OEM FORD Rally-Pacs. They require the use of going through the Ignition switch (voltage sensing? I guess.), so if the Rally-Pac dies/breaks/craps out for some dopey reason, You can't start the car and have to disconnect the Rally-Pac to get going again just like the Originals.  :o)

BELOW: Here is a great video link from Sacremento Mustang that explains them both... The video is about a year or two old, but all the info in the video is still current other than the fact that the Scott Drake Rally Pacs are now Concours now too..  :o)

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 07:24:37 PM »
The NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac Tachs are mechanically/electronically just like the previous older SD ones, They are (coil wire in-line) just like any average aftermarket tach...which is good.  You can also use them with pretty much any ignition system even if it has been heavily modified or upgraded with Petronix, Mallory, etc. 
The use with a Pertronix I like. That was the one thing holding me back to get one.
A side question, does the Scott Drake Rally Pac have a digital clock?
Somehow I cannot visualize an 8K tachometer for an I-6, but that was answered above.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »

Somehow I cannot visualize an 8K tachometer for an I-6, but that was answered above.
Jim

Oh sure ;) with a 4-barrel, tri-Y headers, dual exhaust and a little Garrett inter-cooled boost! Why not :D
 ...naturally, you'd need to beef up the bottom end just a little  and throw a 9 inch in it too ;)

(probably not Concours though  ;D )
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »

The Blue Oval brand reproduction OEM type Rally-Pacs run and hook up just like the original OEM FORD Rally-Pacs. They require the use of going through the Ignition switch (voltage sensing? I guess.), so if the Rally-Pac dies/breaks/craps out for some dopey reason, You can't start the car and have to disconnect the Rally-Pac to get going again just like the Originals.  :o )

BELOW: Here is a great video link from Sacremento Mustang that explains them both... The video is about a year or two old, but all the info in the video is still current other than the fact that the Scott Drake Rally Pacs are now Concours now too..  :o )

:o )

Tony K.
I think you got this backwards.  Aftermarket tachs are three wire (power, signal, ground) and are not in-line with the coil and are not part of the ignition switch circuit.  Original tachs were two wire (an innie and an outie) that was in-line with the ignition and the coil. 

So I'm still confused.  Is this new RP require a separate line out to the coil or does it plug into the existing ignition to coil circuit?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »
Aftermarket tachs are three wire (power, signal, ground) and are not in-line with the coil and are not part of the ignition switch circuit.  Original tachs were two wire (an innie and an outie) that was in-line with the ignition and the coil. 
So I'm still confused.  Is this new RP require a separate line out to the coil or does it plug into the existing ignition to coil circuit?
Plus two wires for the light inside the tach, although the ground might have been shared on aftermarket.
I believe the Scott Drake wires the same as the Ford tach, inline with the coil via the pink resistance wire.
Jim

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 02:24:34 AM »

Rather than go into a lengthy explanation of the simple install, I posted the NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac install instruction sheets on a similar thread out on the VMF forum.  The weblink to the actual thread with the instruction sheets is below. I did not want to post them directly on here as I know how Jeff and Charles feel about copyright issues....so I think just a weblink is in order here instead.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1003882-new-scott-drake-rally-pac-dip-switch-settings.html#post8453386

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
According to those instructions, the tach is not compatible with the original Ford design, and uses an extra wire to the - side of the coil.