Author Topic: Ford kit for Greasing UCAs?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Ford kit for Greasing UCAs?
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Hi guys, I recently talked to my dad about the never-ending problem of squeaking upper control arms.  Dad bought his Mustang in 1968, and he was sure he remembered a kit that someone--not sure if it was Ford or not--offered to grease upper control arms.  He described it as being a sort of small "wheel" contraption, and said that it worked really well.  Of course, 40 years later, that kit is long gone; it probably got thrown away years ago.

Does anyone remember a kit of this style?  Again, I don't know if it was a Ford brand kit or not, though Dad said he thought it was.  I know it's a shot in the dark, but I thought I would throw this out there.  Nobody I've ever mentioned it to have had any recollection of a kit like that.  Thanks for any help/info!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Ford kit for Greasing UCAs?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
Any of the big parts vendors have this, comes with 90 degree fittings and a tool to install.  Although, I found the "tool" quite flimsy.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
Any of the big parts vendors have this, comes with 90 degree fittings and a tool to install.  Although, I found the "tool" quite flimsy.

Thanks, Charles, but I have the kit you're referring to, and it's not the same thing.  The kit I'm thinking of didn't require installing fittings, from what I understand.

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »
Back in the day a lot of independent shops would drill a hole in shock tower and  install the grease fitting,
Gimpy
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »
Back in the day a lot of independent shops would drill a hole in shock tower and  install the grease fitting,
Gimpy

Or make big holes with a torch.   :-\

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
Or make big holes with a torch.   :-\

I know, there's so many towers that had holes hacked or torched into them.  It looks horrible.  Did Ford ever actually address the UCA grease issue?  Was there ever even any acknowledgement from Ford that it was a problem?

priceless

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
Hey Brett, I installed the 90 degree fittings years ago. Thumb screwed the 90 in, then used a small wrench (seems like it was a 1/4 or 5/16), can't remember. And eyes got bad, can't see it too well, LOL.  And installed the straight piece into the 90 with a deep small socket. Haven't had a bit of trouble greasing them.

Seems I remember my (late) Dad using something your describing since he was a self employed mechanic.  But that's been some 35 yrs ago. We'll keep on top of this and see if we can find something  8) 

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
Hey Brett, I installed the 90 degree fittings years ago. Thumb screwed the 90 in, then used a small wrench (seems like it was a 1/4 or 5/16), can't remember. And eyes got bad, can't see it too well, LOL.  And installed the straight piece into the 90 with a deep small socket. Haven't had a bit of trouble greasing them.

Hey Richie!  I've got that aftermarket kit on the Mach 1, but I need to get kits for some of my other cars.  We drove the '66 fastback this weekend, and it just about drove us crazy with the frontend squeaking over EVERY bump!   ;D

priceless

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Are you looking for the one like your Dad had or are you looking for the 90 degree ones? Seems the 90's would be pretty easy to find.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
Are you looking for the one like your Dad had or are you looking for the 90 degree ones? Seems the 90's would be pretty easy to find.

I'm looking for information on the kit he had.  The 90 degree kits are common, but I've never seen another kit like the one Dad had.  I talked to him earlier today, and he said he wasn't sure it was a Ford-branded item, but it DID come from the local Ford dealership.  It was a grease fitting attached to a small thumb wheel.  The wheel was a little bigger than a quarter (25 cents, not the body panel  :D).  It was designed to fit into very tight places, like the UCA design on an early Mustang.  You pulled the factory grease plugs out, threaded in the grease fitting by using the thumb wheel, and then greased it as needed.  When you were finished, it screwed back out and the original UCA plugs went back into place.  Even Dad said he'd never seen another one like it, but that they used it for years around our shop when nothing else would fit into those tight places.

priceless

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
Man, I vaguely remember something like that from waaay back. You know, we have search engines out the wazoo. Now, that's got me curious wanting to try and find something like you're describing.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
Check on www.garagejournal.com  Lots of old-school mechanic guys on there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 01:44:00 AM »
............. It was a grease fitting attached to a small thumb wheel.  The wheel was a little bigger than a quarter (25 cents, not the body panel  :D)..............

Yes have seen them - not installed on cars but on a display card for sale. "Wheel" if I recall correctly was black on the ones I saw. Can't recall if they were designed to stay with the fitting or only for installation purposes

Can't recall much details. something you would see at swap meets... take notice then push on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)