Author Topic: Tower clamps or wire clamps on a 1966 289 C code built at New Jersey  (Read 2173 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
How about mid-MAR  New Jersey, Jeff?  Maybe a new thread for this question?

I was almost convinced my car had the wire ones stapled to the hose.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:53:35 PM by J_Speegle »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline 66kcoupe

Good question my Metuchen march 31 K code seems to have had them too and still does
1966 Mustang Hipo Coupe, in the family since new (unrestored)
1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback (daily driver)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Tower clamps or wire clamps on a 1966 289 C code built at New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
As usual we are challenged by the limited number of nice originals from this plant.  Below is at least some clues to what may have been going on there. I think though even though the hoses have been replaced in some of these examples the clamps must have come from some place, likely were on the car originally, since they are not what would have been commonly for sale where they purchased the hoses nor the choice of most mechanics at the time

6T09A11185x Hose clamps

6T07C12154x Hose clamps

6T09C24357x Hose clamps

6T07C26694x Hose clamps

Looks like the same pattern as San Jose - start out with the band... running change to the new PAT PEND hose and clamps.

Not sure how the late car (6T09C24357x) with the band clamp got that way - possible a owner purchasing reproduction parts in the 80's or for some reason the plant getting a crate of radiator hoses from the Dearborn suppliers one day. Would need to find additional ones before drawing a conclusion that they are original

Hope this helps the discussion

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:29:53 PM »
I can remember working at my father's garage and being asked to "take off those hoses".  Vehicles that had those tower clamps would receive the infamous "screwdriver twist"...sliding the screwdriver into the tower and twisting round-n-round until the clamp snapped.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
Jeff,

May I make a little suggestion?  If you are taking pictures of a particular detail, and there's another detail in the background that we have more definitive information on, you might want to capture that background detail in the picture.  This may better nail down the timeframe etc.

In particular in these photos, I see the one that has the maintenance decal horizontal.  We already have a pretty good idea of timeframe when the decals were being placed vertically.

BC
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:35:48 AM »
Jeff,

May I make a little suggestion?  If you are taking pictures of a particular detail, and there's another detail in the background that we have more definitive information on, you might want to capture that background detail in the picture.  This may better nail down the timeframe etc.

That may be the challenge as I'm normally not taking a picture of a particular detail but instead the area, since I can't anticipate what detail people will be asking for months or even years later. Simply pulling them from my data base out of tens of thousands of them. Lacking a standardized specific detail in all of the pictures in a set I hoped the VIN would work but believe I understand what your thinking of.

Now choosing and cropping the picture is something I can control if the original picture covers a large general area. but can't change the angle or what is in the source picture. Sometimes I only get minutes with a particular car other times hours
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:39:56 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
I can remember working at my father's garage and being asked to "take off those hoses".  Vehicles that had those tower clamps would receive the infamous "screwdriver twist"...sliding the screwdriver into the tower and twisting round-n-round until the clamp snapped.

Lots of folks are unaware of how to remove the clamps, which can be done easily and re-used.

-Loosen the hex screw until it's almost completely threaded out
-Find a deep socket, one that the hex screw does not bottom out on and narrow enough to touch the square base where the screw goes in
-Tap the end of the socket with a rubber hammer and the clamp will unravel/loosen

Can easily be re-used if removed with this technique.  The trick is to make contact with the base and not the screw when tapping down.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:52:19 AM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin