Author Topic: Upper Control Arm Support ?  (Read 6382 times)

Offline stangs-R-me

Re: Upper Control Arm Support ?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the share Doug.  Read the high-lighted post and sure enough, on the 69 428 cars, the fuel line is right where it shouldn't be ?     Brian

Intersting ... so maybe my 351W car with it running along the bottom like your 428CJ was correct too ??   When I put new replacement pre-bent lines on my car back in 2005 that is where it wanted to run and lined up with the clamp so that is where it went.   

Having just made the tools, I was a little disheartened to see that the drivers side would not work with the fuel line there so I then assumed my replacement line should have been tweaked before installing to get it to run a little higher.   Not wanting to remove line to tweak (or deal with the gas smell on my hands and likely spillage / mess of removing), I removed the front clamp to see if tube would move enough if I were to simply move the clamp.    Sure enough, just drilled a new hole for the front clamp (original hole is hidden under the clamp) and got it to move up enough from the frame rail so I could used my newly made tools.

Doug   

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Here's a set I made...it's a little cleaner and simpler than the original design and modified so that they don't inadvertantly crush the fuel line on cars where the line runs along the frame rail.  Under the category of full disclosure, my first attempt at these resulted in a bit of a mishap that I have embarrassingly shared with Marcus but this set works great. If anyone is interested I'll send the dimensions.

I really like how your design fits and the simplicity of it ... I'd certainly be interested in seeing the dimensions !!

Thanks,

Doug

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »
Here is a quick picture of what I have put together.  The design is based on the actual original Ford tool.  I am adding these to my website for $100 a set plus shipping, or including them free when I do a suspension restoration.  Good tool to have.

]IMG_7785 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr[/url][/img]

Wow Marcus, your version is a much nicer looking piece than the directions out of the shop manual I followed.

Also ... the picture you posted appears to be the driver's side ... what is it a picture of that the fuel line is not there at all ??

Doug

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
It seems this tool and construction spec's are in my 65,66 and 69 Shop manuals and always pictured is the right side.  It also seems the fuel line seats in the frame rail, in the same place, in my 65 and my 69.  So taking a tip from ' Old Mustang Guy ' I asked a friend to whip me up a set and add a small tab to the LEFT side support.  Got the set today and they are beautiful.   Had to give them a try and the 69 was elected.  Little fussing around getting installed.  The elevation has to be just right so they don't fall out but after they are seated, yeah, the car goes up the wheels stop going down.  Removal is a piece of cake.  Just lower the car.  Not sure how much use I will get outta these but time will tell.  Shocks and ball joints and not sure what else ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »
It seems this tool and construction spec's are in my 65,66 and 69 Shop manuals and always pictured is the right side.  It also seems the fuel line seats in the frame rail, in the same place, in my 65 and my 69.  So taking a tip from ' Old Mustang Guy ' I asked a friend to whip me up a set and add a small tab to the LEFT side support.  Got the set today and they are beautiful.   Had to give them a try and the 69 was elected.  Little fussing around getting installed.  The elevation has to be just right so they don't fall out but after they are seated, yeah, the car goes up the wheels stop going down.  Removal is a piece of cake.  Just lower the car.  Not sure how much use I will get outta these but time will tell.  Shocks and ball joints and not sure what else ?  Brian
Great idea Brian.It looks easy enough to add to my driver side designated brace.Thanks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:07 PM »
So taking a tip from ' Old Mustang Guy '

I'll be watching for the royalty checks.... 8)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
I'll be watching for the royalty checks.... 8)

Take a jacket, hat and mittens  .... gets cold waiting  by the mailbox  ;D this time of year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
A recent collaboration between Jerry Heasley and Bob Perkins provided this picture.  Purported to be an original Ford Upper Arm Support Tool complete with a part number.  Obviously a cast piece and not resembling the Shop Manual drawing.  Certainly looks like a very well thought out, heavy duty, professional shop tool.  Brian
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:47:34 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.