Author Topic: Headlight extension repairs--what's best?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Headlight extension repairs--what's best?
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »
I'm making headway reassembling my '65 K code fastback (February 1965, San Jose) that's been in my garage in pieces since 1992 and it's about ready to go out for paint.  But before I take that step I need to repair the "typical" breaks in the top of the headlight extension assemblies.  If there's such a thing as a good break, that's probably how I would describe mine.  The pieces snapped apart sometime in the past, but no sections fell out or were lost.  In fact if I apply moderate pressure from the bottom of the assembly, the two pieces mesh back together perfectly and the break line nearly disappears.  I know these are made out of pot metal and welding or soldering is not an option for most of us non-pro welders, but I'm not sure where to go from here.  The correct date stamps are on both pieces and I would really like to keep them with the car, so I guess my question here is what are my options at this point?  I see that NPD sells a repair kit for $43 that includes some J.B. Weld and patch pieces, but I know nothing about the effectiveness or longevity of such a repair.  I'd really like to hear from members who have solved this problem so I can get it done and move on with the project.  Thanks, Ron!

Offline sgl66

Re: Headlight extension repairs--what's best?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:58:14 PM »
Easiest fix is to drill a hole through the extension and headlight bucket in fender and run a hex head self tapping sheet metal screw through. Nobody will ever see it. Just be sure to not go too long. I know a restoration shop that does this also. I have never tried JB Weld but have read that it can eventually break apart and you’re right back to where you started.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
Any chance of getting the name and or number of the restoration shop that has experience with this?  I'd like to give them a call.  Thanks, Ron

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »
I have never tried JB Weld but have read that it can eventually break apart and you’re right back to where you started.
I have a JB weld repaired extension on a 66 for almost 10 years with no apparent problems. Following instructions usually works.
JIm
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »
Jim:  Did you use the kit from NPD?  Ron...

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone.  I'm going to try my hand at a repair with the JB weld.  When I'm done I'll try to post a couple of pictures.  Thanks, Ron

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
Any chance of getting the name and or number of the restoration shop that has experience with this?  I'd like to give them a call.  Thanks, Ron

Sent you a PM
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »
Did you use the kit from NPD?
Ron,
Probably. The one I have is "packaged" by California Pony Cars, and sold by NPD and others. It is "different" than the latest seen on the  NPD website, which still references California Pony Cars. The "difference" seems to be the size and style of the JB weld portion. The kit I have, contains two one ounce capped tubes. The latest NPD catalog shows a joined plastic tube, probably a single use application.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
First, I have NOT tried this on a First Gen Mustang (64.5-66). I Did use a product called Muggyweld Super Alloy 1 low temp solder, to solder a broken pot-metal headlight housing on my 67. Once soldered, you could hardly notice the area I fixed (I filled a portion that was missing). There are video's with claims of a 'no-welding experience woman' using the product on Youtube. I understand the area you wish to repair is thin but you can build this product up if you get the right heat. The secret is in the flux they have, it turns brown at the right temp, keeping you from overheating and melting the pot metal.

Pay particular attention to the video timeline at 3:54 minutes (yes, that was a Mustang Headlamp Extension!)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:25:24 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »
I Did use a product called Muggyweld Super Alloy 1 low temp solder, to solder a broken pot-metal headlight housing on my 67.
On of my neighbors used this when he ran out of JB Weld. He liked it.
Jim

Offline tvor

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I had a broken headlamp extension from someone rolling into my parked car many, many, years ago.  I had bought a new Ford replacement and, for some reason, I kept the broken one (pretty smart for a kid of ~17.  Either that or I'm a car parts hoarder)
When I finally got around to restoring my car, I wanted to put the original back on.  Not only to have the original part back on the car, but also, mine was the early style and the replacement was the newer, squared-off style.
I bought the muggy weld, but I just wasn't comfortable to use it for the first time on this important part.  So I decided I'd fix it using sheet metal and JB weld.  My repair was solid (one of the breaks was on the pocket for tinnerman and screw).  Attached are pics of the repairs.  The first 3 show the breaks, the other 3 on how I fixed it
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »
Are you sure the headlight extension isn't bent?  I'd fit it on the car with the headlight extension to make sure everything looks good.  Those diecast parts do bend, in addition to breaking/cracking.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tvor

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Charles, if you're question was regarding my repair, it wasn't bent.  I could fit it to the car and check it out prior to making the repair  The part that took the brunt of the hit was the headlight trim.  I had to replace that piece (from the Ford dealer).

I'll try and take a pic of the finished product later today
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »
How much does an unbroken 65-66 headlight extension go for these days?

Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
How much does an unbroken 65-66 headlight extension go for these days?

$50-150 ea
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin