Author Topic: '68 GT350 p/s upper Pressure Hose routing  (Read 1776 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
'68 GT350 p/s upper Pressure Hose routing
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
Anyone have any pics or info to share on the correct routing of a '68 GT350 upper pressure p/s hose?  I have the correct hose, but if I turn the line at the lower junction about 45 degrees to the right from center, the hose is sitting on the frame rail.  I only have pics of 2 cars, one is 2103 and the other is one that was supposedly unrestored.  Both of those cars show the hose fitting at the back of the pump with the line angled almost straight down.  When I do that, it puts a tight curve in the line.  I don't have good pics of the routing on the bottom.

Also, pls note this is actually specific only to '68 Shelby small-blocks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: '68 GT350 p/s upper Pressure Hose routing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
Anyone have any pics or info to share on the correct routing of a '68 GT350 upper pressure p/s hose?  I have the correct hose, but if I turn the line at the lower junction about 45 degrees to the right from center, the hose is sitting on the frame rail.  I only have pics of 2 cars, one is 2103 and the other is one that was supposedly unrestored.  Both of those cars show the hose fitting at the back of the pump with the line angled almost straight down.  When I do that, it puts a tight curve in the line.  I don't have good pics of the routing on the bottom.

Also, pls note this is actually specific only to '68 Shelby small-blocks.
Yes the hose is too long . I have observed the tight bend also. The same hose was used on 67 GT350 and 68 GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Would you happen to have any pics of original/unrestored cars showing this detail?  I'm not sure if I should angle the lower fitting. 

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/PSHoses

Hey Pete, the question is not the hose identification, it's the correct routing.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Would you happen to have any pics of original/unrestored cars showing this detail?  I'm not sure if I should angle the lower fitting.
I will look but am not optimistic if have one from that angle underneath. Yes on the fitting to be angled toward the apron at the junction. It is next to impossible to do it by yourself . You need three hands. One to keep the lower line from twisting and keeping parallel to the ground ,one to hold the upper line at the desired angle,and one to tighten the nut on the upper hose fitting at the junction. The 67 BB hose has the same issue just to a lessor extent . The 68 BB hose was shorter. Why they made those hoses so long is beyond my understanding.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
Yes, you're right about the 3 hands, will have to get one of my boys to hold a wrench.  Funny thing is, the car had a big block upper pressure hose all the time it was shown and nobody caught it.  The big block one actually fits fine, but goes over the top of the oil filter instead of in front.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:43 PM »
Yes, you're right about the 3 hands, will have to get one of my boys to hold a wrench.  Funny thing is, the car had a big block upper pressure hose all the time it was shown and nobody caught it.  The big block one actually fits fine, but goes over the top of the oil filter instead of in front.
That's funny. I am a little surprised that Ford didn't do that from the beginning because I think it fits better. To me the unique curved shape of the pump side end of the special 67/68 upper pressure hose is a dead giveaway but then again I studied them extensively. It is not a commonly known detail.