Author Topic: Shift Indicator Light w/Console--Any Adjustment?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Shift Indicator Light w/Console--Any Adjustment?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
Hi guys, I just finished putting carpet in my '67 coupe.  While the console was out, I took the time to fix the shifter indicator light (the car is an automatic).  When I got the car, the plastic rod that connects the shifter and light was long gone (presumably it broke and was never replaced).  The light was rigged to the shifter with zip ties and electrical wire.  It looked like crap, but oddly enough, it worked perfectly.  The shifter light matched up perfectly with the dial on the console.  Nevertheless, I wanted to put it back stock, and I've run into a problem.

From what I can tell, there is no adjustment on this light; you have the hole in the shifter and the hole in the light assembly, and the two connect together with a plastic rod.  Seems simple, right? However, when I put it all together, nothing is lining up.  I can barely install the screws that go through the console and into the plastic shifter bezel; the holes are that far off.  It's off far enough that the shifter indicator light is off by almost two gears (I mean the "park" light is lit up when the shifter is actually in "drive."  Keep in mind this is the original floorboard, original console, original shifter, and original bezel for the car.

I studied on this problem last night, and the only thing I can come up with is that the plastic shifter bezel needs to move back about 1 centimeter.  When I move the bezel back that far, everything lines up, but then I can't start the screws into the bezel because they no longer line up with the holes in the console.  I could move the bezel back permanently, but that would mean not screwing it to the metal shifter housing (see the picture below). 

Does anyone have any ideas?  I feel like there is something obvious I'm overlooking.  :)
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Shift Indicator Light w/Console--Any Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
Here's a picture I took of the problem I'm having.  As you can see, the screw holes in the bezel just barely line up with those in the console. When I move the bezel to where it needs to be in order for the indicator light to work correctly, those screw holes are even further off.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
Those two raised holes on the shifter bucket are not for screws.
The black console shifter assembly has two long plastic studs on the back, and those fit into the holes you have marked on your shifter bucket.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Those two raised holes on the shifter bucket are not for screws.
The black console shifter assembly has two long plastic studs on the back, and those fit into the holes you have marked on your shifter bucket.

I found some pictures of used shifter bezels, and I see what you mean: they're supposed to be plastic studs.  Both of the studs on my plastic bezel have broken, and someone drilled them through for screws.  But even without the studs, I've got to have the bezel extremely close to where it would fit if it weren't broken.  The j-nut somebody installed might move a little, but it can't move that much.  Even when I place the bezel exactly over the metal shifter housing, it still won't line up with the console housing once it's installed.  Like the picture I posted, I'm off by about 1 cm.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Do you have the light housing installed correctly?  It should be mounted in the slot with the wiring coming out of the rear - as shown in the attached photo...

1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »
Do you have the light housing installed correctly?  It should be mounted in the slot with the wiring coming out of the rear - as shown in the attached photo...

I had it installed like in your picture.  I think I've got it fixed now.  I moved the housing forward a small bit and drilled new mounting holes in the plastic plate.  Since one of the original mounting holes was already stripped, I didn't feel too bad about doing it this way, and it will never be seen once the console's back together.  It's not the best solution, but I was out of ideas.  :(

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
When I had exactly the same problem you have I discarded the plastic rod and made a new one of a steel rod 5 or 6mm . Both end were threaded
and nuts and contra nuts were used.
In my case the rod had to be done about half inch longer than the original, the reason why is unknown.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:17:22 AM by 22mafeja »

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »
Interesting....gives me some things to check into for my 68 floor console indicator alignment 👍
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68