Author Topic: Different T5 badges  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
Different T5 badges
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
In a German forum a user posted these two different T5 fender badges:

As you can see the pins have a different gap (in mm), also the number on the back (lower right corner) differs - one badge has a "1", the other one a "2".

First of all: these badges were used starting in MY 67 right?
Am i right, saying that the 64.5 to 66 T5 should all have this badge on the fenders?:

Second: Do you know why there are different badges? are these different versions from different suppliers or does it depend on the MY these badges were used on?

Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Different T5 badges
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
The rectangle long shaped one is the one we typically see on 65 through 66's but if I remember correctly (seen likely 40 or so T5's through the years) but will check...............................   but will check what I've got though GT's in 65-68 seem to be a bit tricky

Lots more Export cars out there than just T5's though a fair number of exports have been changed into T5's it seems over the years either due to misunderstanding or and attempt to make them something they are not :(

I've seen the GT style badges used on 67-through the Mustang II period.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:49:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1950fordcoupe

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
Hello,
I just joined the Forum and was reading over some of the posts. Let me introduce myself first I was a tool & die maker and tooling engineer for 41 years. I built or had built stamping dies, zinc die cast tooling, and plastic injection molds both thermoset and thermoplastic. I started out as a die maker / mold maker and ended up my work life as the engineering manager at a tool & die shop in China. Could not get a job here so went where the money was.
I also have been fooling around with Mustangs since the 60's. A friend came to me with a 65 fastback one day in I think 1973 and said the car owner wanted $800.00 for it and wanted me to review the car and give my thought. As I walked around the car I noticed that the pin holes in the front fender were not right for any of the mustang emblems used. I opened the hood and it had an export brace. The front of the car sat higher than usual. There were holes in the tops of the front fender where mirrors had been mounted. I was a V-8 2-V automatic car, Wimbledon white with black standard interior. I opened the glove box and the owners manual was still there. I had a stamp applied to the front cover that said "In Recognition of Trademark Rights T-5".  Did not have internet back then but finally found out what the story was. The owners manual had the dealer name in Munich Germany. My friend bought the car and I did a custom pearl paint job with Flip Flop Yellow on top. He passed away a few years back but his son still has the car.
I also bought a 1972 Mach 1 T-5 that a friend crashed it is just sitting since 1974. Seems there is no demand for them.
Now back to the emblems. I feel they were made in the same die cast tooling. The numbers 1 and 2 are the cavity numbers and the difference in the details of the parts is probably due to the electrodes used to burn the cavities wore and the corners come out different. You use a process called EDM to make tooling like this that was just getting going good in the 60's. Ford bought machines that could burn the tooling for a Torino hood, largest ever built. This process is still used but CNC mill are used for most of the work.
Over the years of searching for T-5 emblems I did find NOS of the rectangle version. The T-5 is just an applied sticker and the base casting is actually from the Comet car and was seen on the rear quarters of Comets. I also found NOS 71 - 73 and they are applied where the Mustang name is normally in the center of the dash but not on cars with gages. I have also found NOS hub caps that do not have the Mustang in the center just black.
So if anyone reads this hope it sheds some light.
Have a great time with your cars.
David Fowler

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
When you read the engineering number on the back it is a c6o number, those where 66 Fairlane GT badges, mounted on front fenders. It is amazing where Ford parts show up. Use what you already have, keeps the cost down, that is how the Mustang started.