Author Topic: 1967 Shelby wire harness decal. What is this for?  (Read 3202 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Shelby wire harness decal. What is this for?
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:29:55 AM »
I picked up a decal from NPD, It was in last year's catalog, but I couldn't find it in the '16 issue.  The number on the tag is: S7MS14290-A. It has to do with the headlamp harness, but which one? I understood the main headlamp/engine loom was the same as the Mustang with tach.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby wire harness decal. What is this for?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:34 AM »
I picked up a decal from NPD, It was in last year's catalog, but I couldn't find it in the '16 issue.  The number on the tag is: S7MS14290-A. It has to do with the headlamp harness, but which one? I understood the main headlamp/engine loom was the same as the Mustang with tach.

-Keith
The only part of the headlight harness that is Shelby unique is the inboard or outboard highbeam harness . The harness was made at SA not a secondary vendor which may have made it necessary for a tag of some kind to identify it. The assemblyline Shelby harness didn't have a tag as far as I know. I have seen quite a few survivor type cars and haven't seen even a reminent of one on a harness. A service replacement might however. I have never seen a service replacement highbeam harness in 30+ years of looking so it is only speculation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »
Bob,
You and I discussed this a while back, but I couldn't find the decal. I finally located it tonight and as previously discussed. You had mentioned that you weren't aware of any wiring markers for the inboard lamps, as the extensions were made in-house at Shelby American. You would think with the crappy splices a few got hot and melted, which would prompt Ford to have stock available, which it would require identification and a part number to be in inventory.  I will call NPD, find out who makes these and call them.
Perhaps that will answer the question. I'll post if I get a viable response.

-Keith

The NPD tag says: Wire Tag. Dash to Headlamp junction. 1967 Shelby Inboard Headlamps.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
Bob,
You and I discussed this a while back, but I couldn't find the decal. I finally located it tonight and as previously discussed. You had mentioned that you weren't aware of any wiring markers for the inboard lamps, as the extensions were made in-house at Shelby American. You would think with the crappy splices a few got hot and melted, which would prompt Ford to have stock available, which it would require identification and a part number to be in inventory.  I will call NPD, find out who makes these and call them.
Perhaps that will answer the question. I'll post if I get a viable response.

-Keith

The NPD tag says: Wire Tag. Dash to Headlamp junction. 1967 Shelby Inboard Headlamps.
At the very least the description is lacking since no Shelby unique harness stretched from the dash to where the headlamps connect. A regular Mustang identifying tag would be typical on the headlamp harness. FYI a S7MS tag on that wiring harness regardless of if on a service inboard harness or not would be a deduction in concours where it is expected to look the way is was when it left SA. That is if building to appear as it did when it left SA.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
Bob Gaines:
ECS manufactures the decal. Dave at ECS says they have the original harness from which the decal was reproduced from. He is going to call me back, but it was from a vehicle that was in the 00300 sequence area. He is going to confirm tomorrow and I assume we'll have pictures.
The tag I had purchased and installed on my headlamp harness is red tag with FOMCO and the C7ZB-14290-Z. Which is for a tach vehicle.
Perhaps we have another mystery here to solve. It makes no sense that Ford would service the same part under two part numbers if they were the same, but....

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
Bob Gaines:
ECS manufactures the decal. Dave at ECS says they have the original harness from which the decal was reproduced from. He is going to call me back, but it was from a vehicle that was in the 00300 sequence area. He is going to confirm tomorrow and I assume we'll have pictures.
The tag I had purchased and installed on my headlamp harness is red tag with FOMCO and the C7ZB-14290-Z. Which is for a tach vehicle.
Perhaps we have another mystery here to solve. It makes no sense that Ford would service the same part under two part numbers if they were the same, but....

-Keith
You didn't say what he said the tag was supposed to be connected too.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
Bob,
Supposed to be a headlamp harness at the firewall.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 02:32:31 AM »
Bob,
Supposed to be a headlamp harness at the firewall.

-Keith
I am very skeptical because there is no difference from a regular Mustang headlight harness. It doesn't make sense. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof so I will stand by for that. FYI in 67 SA made all of the added harness in house. High beam ,taillights and amp gauge. They modified the regular Mustang harness to splice into them as needed.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:25:08 AM »
Bob, I remember you telling me that when this question first came about. I couldn't find the harness decal, so it was dropped. I found it yesterday between business cards. I am not questioning your position, I ask Dave to substantiate where this came from.  I should have an answer tomorrow. As I stated, I am on the same page as you are. Why carry two part numbers in the system if they are identical?
I will be sure to post when I know for absolute where it came from and hopefully there is some kind of vin correlation. 

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
Bob, I remember you telling me that when this question first came about. I couldn't find the harness decal, so it was dropped. I found it yesterday between business cards. I am not questioning your position, I ask Dave to substantiate where this came from.  I should have an answer tomorrow. As I stated, I am on the same page as you are. Why carry two part numbers in the system if they are identical?
I will be sure to post when I know for absolute where it came from and hopefully there is some kind of vin correlation. 

-Keith
Keith , I was interested if Dave tried to substantiate the harness tag. I could not find out what the S7MS -14290-A harness application is .  The root number 14290 has a generic reference  1400-14649 as "wiring and circuit breakers" so that was no help . I don't believe it was on a assemblyline firewall to headlight ,headlight harness. FYI I think he has wonderful products but in this case I am skeptical if that tag came on a assemblyline 67 Shelby headlight harness as he says.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »
Bob, there are two tags he is going to send me the scans of the original via Email. I was down in San Antonio having Randy Meyer fix an issue with my steering box. I will take a look at my email and post the pictures so we can sort this out.

-Keith