Author Topic: C5TF Voltage Regulator  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Brian Conway

C5TF Voltage Regulator
« on: December 27, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
What do we know about this regulator ?  The AUTOLITE REGULATOR 15V C5TF-10316-A info is printed in yellow on a decal applied to the blue case.  Pretty sure I removed it from my 69.  Thanks for taking a look.  Brian
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:44:44 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

Re: C5TF Voltage Regulator
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
Did you think of looking up the application in this forums' library. There's a copy of Ford Car Parts (aka the MPC) as part of every year's article list.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Looks aftermarket to me, with a decal used instead of original Autolite ink stamping.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
What do we know about this regulator ?  The AUTOLITE REGULATOR 15V C5TF-10316-A info is printed in yellow on a decal applied to the blue case.  Pretty sure I removed it from my 69.  Thanks for taking a look.  Brian
I can see the edge of the sticker so not original. Anyway a 69 would have been a C8TF not a C5TF if a heavy duty regulator was needed . The C5TF was used through 67 production if the heavy duty regulator was needed. Also the C5 marked regulators used screws in the covers .68 up used the rivets.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 08:26:02 PM »
I just noticed in picture #2 that the body of the base of the regulator does not have the bar going underneath the terminals like originals. The original terminal strip sticks out of a opening made into the base with a piece/bar going underneath the strip.  That is a aftermarket regulator.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Interesting observations.  Was curious about the  ' 5MC ' ink stamp on the reproduction regulator.  Seemed to be a FORD date format ?  The blue/yellow C5TF format also appears to be an incorrect decal from the past.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
Was curious about the  ' 5MC ' ink stamp on the reproduction regulator.  Seemed to be a FORD date format ? 
Here's some pictures of a NOS C2DF-10505-A regulator for a 64 6 cylinder Mustang with a generator (I opened the box myself) with the date code on the bottom.
Note the indented terminal identification on the cover in the first picture.
A date code of "5MC" (the "C" may be a "6" - or not) is not correct. 5M6 would be better, but there are other problems.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Interesting observations.  Was curious about the  ' 5MC ' ink stamp on the reproduction regulator.  Seemed to be a FORD date format ?  The blue/yellow C5TF format also appears to be an incorrect decal from the past.  Brian
I didn't pay too much attention to the date code because many formats including Ford leave off the decade. It may be 85,95 etc.  Definitely a repro regulator with a repro wrong sticker for a 69 .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »

IMHO I'm pretty sure many manufactures dated their parts and still do so finding similar patterns would not be surprising. With all the signs that its just an over the counter replacement the dating is just a coincidence
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)