Author Topic: 65-67 Disc Brake Rotors 2 Piece Discussion  (Read 4462 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
65-67 Disc Brake Rotors 2 Piece Discussion
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »
These rotors and some others that have been posted have the word "CENTURY" cast into them. I wonder if that refers to Federal-Mogul's Century Foundry in St. Louis, where they manufactured brake rotors. Possibly F-M was supplying raw castings to Raybestos?

Steve Smith’s The Lawrence Group plans a $104 million redevelopment of the Federal Mogul Century Foundry site, the latest large project in Midtown.
Smith plans to turn the property, 3700 Forest Park Ave., into a food market, office and retail space, and 250 residential units.
The Lawrence Group plans retail, office space and residential units at the Federal Mogul Century Foundry, 3700 Forest Park Ave.

Federal Mogul announced it would close the foundry, where brake parts were made, in 2007. It has sat vacant for years.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 65-67 Disc Brake Rotors 2 Piece Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
Here is a picture of a "Made in China" aftermarket one more recently found, alongside one of my original ones.

I cannot speak for other variations however my original ones did NOT have the "Century" mark. Another "used rotor" I have on hand, NOT from my example, DOES have the "Century" cast into it (no balancing weights found on that example though) FWIW, the "Century rotor I have, had a different looking hub than the originals found on my '67 (11/66) San Jose example too. I am sure the two rotors I removed from my example are indeed original, not any service replacement. My thoughts are the "Century" rotors may have been service replacements. Others may disagree.

(notice the horseshoe shaped balancing weights welded in, located on the inside, near the hub)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:07:10 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »
Did Kelsey Hayes supply OE rotors for all 65-67 Mustangs?
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
My understanding is that all 65-67 assemblyline rotors were K/H.  Originals I have or have seen all have the weights welded between the vanes.  They dont have any cast in markings on the rotor.  The rotor has the staggered vanes as seen from the inside and a "dog tooth" look when viewed from the outside.   Assemblyline K/H hubs have a distinct casting in that the outer hub center narrows down around the grease cap - this is cast in, not machined to be narrower. also there is a notch cast into the outer hub portion just outboard of one of the studs.  A hole (1/4" to 5/16") is drilled thru the hub in one spot.  Studs are marked K/H on the heads.  Hubs also have casting numbers and K/H cast into the backside facing the rotor.

I Have seen Wagner, Raybestos, and Ford service rotors all with similar cast in markings - Century   Minimum Thickness 0.780 and other numbers like R6004.   Always wondered about the Century mark and its interesting that FM had a Century foundry in St Louis.  I suspect you are right in that they supplied castings to several other brands including those sold as Ford service parts.

The hubs on these service pieces no longer had the narrow portion by grease cap - also no notch or hole.  Service hubs had a machined outer circumference whereas the K/H were raw casting in that area and not machined.  I believe they were machine balanced because had no balance weights in the vanes.   I have seen NOS K/H rotors that did not have the narrowing either.

Don't know if K/H ever supplied service rotors to Ford, if they did it was only for a short period.

The closing of the Century foundry in 2007 corresponds pretty much to the time when these 2 piece rotors became unavailable - they are all made in China now and are one piece.  Too bad for us (and the US)!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:02:39 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »
Quote from 67gtasanJose
Here is a picture of a "Made in China" aftermarket one more recently found (on right side of image), alongside one of my original ones (on left of image).
I think you may have gotten the picture rotated 180   -  the orig. shows up on the right for me.

Yes, I now see that in the thumbnail but when I clip & open it, it is as described...I'll re-word my text siince I cannot see how the images open up for others.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »
I don't know if this is significant in any way, however I am sure the rotors on the Shelby were assembly line. The vehicle had about 37K on it when it was wrecked.
With that said; Both rotors are clearly K/H marked. Now perhaps It's a San Jose thing.

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
Where did the rest of this discussion go to?

It was a lengthy one before the rest of it went away. (perhaps split? no notation about being split though)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:55:34 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:21 PM »
Where did the rest of this discussion go to?

It was a lengthy one before the rest of it went away. (perhaps split? no notation about being split though)

Don't recall the specific length or details but since I do most of the arranging on the site (splitting, moving, retitling ....) must report I did move anything
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:27:59 AM »
Don't recall the specific length or details but since I do most of the arranging on the site (splitting, moving, retitling ....) must report I did move anything

The narrative & quotes of the first post indicate something is missing, even if you were not aware of the length of discussion by memory. I had also posted many pictures of the differences found in the New replacement rotor for the 2-piece hub/rotors that Oreilley's had begun to carry. (By the way, I checked stock levels at Oreilley's recently and they were out again).

Anyways, considering the more recent discussions on restoring the 65-66 two piece rotors, knowing the '67's use the same rotor, I thought I would surface that older discussion and this was all I found. Maybe it was in another thread?

EDIT: I found the other thread I mentioned. Still, strange narrative on this one...
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11507.0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:01:57 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline KevinK

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 10:55:20 PM »
I just picked up a set of Raybestos 6004R front rotors. I not would call them good as they are not 2 piece. I would not call them bad as they appear to be functional. That leaves Ugly..

Just letting you know what is out there at $27 each, made in China.  They should work fine for my use.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:05:01 AM »
I just picked up a set of Raybestos 6004R front rotors. I not would call them good as they are not 2 piece. I would not call them bad as they appear to be functional. That leaves Ugly..

Just letting you know what is out there at $27 each, made in China.  They should work fine for my use.
A lot of items will work the same . That is good and helps many keep their car on the road at a economical price. Since we are mainly focused on original details on this forum I would like to report that NPD sells the rotor hat to use with the hub of your worn out rotor 65-67 .That way you can still have the two piece look of the assemblyline.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby