Author Topic: Leaf spring stamping number  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Ashley

Leaf spring stamping number
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:07 AM »
Anyone own a 71 Mach 1 or sportsroof with 429 CJ and C6 trans? Leaf springs on my car has a C9ZA-5556-G stamping number on short leaf. Megasite shows a spring with D1ZA-5556-SA stamping from a 429 car. Purchased new OE springs from Eaton. Looking for the short leafs with correct stamping number. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Leaf spring stamping number
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
Not sure. Are you looking for confirmation on the D1ZA-5556-SA  spring engineering number or looking for a pair?

If looking for I suggest that you place a ad in the wanted section and other sites. The more the better and the more eyes you will reach. Also figure out if they were used on other models of 71-73s to help widen the search and possible match.

If looking for confirmation hope other owners can check their springs and report. Only own a Cougar 71 CJ (don't own 71 Mustangs any longer)   think those may be different
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Springs on my 72 H Code 351C, Mach 1.  Just for additional information, try and save the original spring clamps.  No one reproduces the original round hole with bell shaped stamp.

67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
Yes looking for confirmation of number on spring and to purchase short leafs with correct number. Interesting nhams car with 351 engine has the same suffix SA as 429 CJ. Thinking the suffix letters determined rating of spring. Looked at an original spring on a Boss 351 with a D1ZA-5556-AB number.  Anyone know of a source for leafs please reply. Thanks Jeff and nham

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »
..........  No one reproduces the original round hole with bell shaped stamp.

Believe at least one shop reproduces the round hole clamps but not often or enough to keep a supply all the time sort of done when he needs some then sells out fairly quickly

Thanks for the picture since I thought the application was wider than just the one application that year. Will make finding some a bit easier for the OP
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)