Author Topic: Unrestored - Early 66 Shelby Picture Thread  (Read 1044 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored - Early 66 Shelby Picture Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
So then ALL 66' Shelby's would have had the Ford deluxe wheel with the Shelby center?

No not ALL. Certain cars like 6S001 had the optional real wood wheel but the Mustang steering wheel with Shelby center was standard. Believe others were delivered with the wood wheel but that would be noted on the invoice and would provide documentation of that fact. Hertz cars would all have the standard wheel since Ford wasn't piling on the extras for a rental car 

Dealers could up sell to the wood wheel (install it at the dealership) or owner could purchase the over the counter version for installation.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
ec3 shows rubber cap on sheetmetal screw in front of battery. should restored cars be shown with the cap in place?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
ec3 shows rubber cap on sheetmetal screw in front of battery. should restored cars be shown with the cap in place?
I have seen with and without. Some could have fallen off or forgotten to be installed. I would install it if it were my car. Keep the picture in your evidence file /binder etc (that you should have) that accompanies the car at concours events. This will keep mis understanding at a minimum .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »

This is one of only one or two cars I've ever seen with one there (out of tens of thousands of 66 San Jose cars)  and we can't be certain that a past owner didn't add it at some point. Since your car was not built any were near (in time period) this car I would not duplicate that detail on your car.

When you show a judge or someone else that picture from this thread the automatic question will be when was that car built and when was yours. With it being 6 months difference I think its a very big stretch

Good thing is that its easy to remove and does not leave a mark
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• 20 minutes from Pacific Raceways
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
It's interesting that this car and S003 both reside in the Seattle/Bellevue area where I live.
Both cars are owned by WASAAC members and I believe the pics were done at Bellevue Community College, host to Mustangs Northwest Roundup where you will find, if the not the largest, one of the largest Mustang shows in the world. It would be odd for it to rain at Roundup as that time of year is generally quite nice, so maybe the pics were done elsewhere?

If you are into Mustangs at all a visit to this show is well worth the time and effort.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:32:18 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours 3/2/67 GT350
Driven     6/6/70 0T02G160xxx B302
Modified  5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 2+2
Race       65 Coupe front clip, Convertible frame mods and SFCs; 2+2 conversion; Many 'glass parts

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
Not questioning the history or validity of this car but in pic E4 that sure looks like white paint on the pinch lace/moulding.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »
Not questioning the history or validity of this car but in pic E4 that sure looks like white paint on the pinch lace/moulding.

Believe you are correct. We accept and understand (reason for the wording at the start of the post) that these cars are old and they have been repaired and altered from when they were brand new and by themselves should not be used as a sole reference point but in conjunction with other examples built same time and plant. At the same time every unrestored car has many solid usable details that we can learn from and discuss.

Good catch - will add a comment to that pic
Jeff Speegle

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
Jeff,

What is your opinion on the two yellow striped heater hoses? Original or replaced at some point?
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
Jeff,

What is your opinion on the two yellow striped heater hoses? Original or replaced at some point?

May not be yellow but old white stripped ones with age
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
May not be yellow but old white stripped ones with age
+1 .  A little
Wesley Bleach White tire cleaner or Super Clean should whiten them right up. It is my opinion based on observations that at SJ at least that the yellow striped hose didn't start appearing for what ever reason until the next model year and then only intermittently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby