Author Topic: Carpet trim under console  (Read 1946 times)

Offline pellets4fuel

Carpet trim under console
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15240.0
Please check out this topic in the 67 mustang section.  Wondering if Cougars would be the same?  Don R @ WCCC says no, carpet just gets cut with a small enough hole to fit in the lower rib on the shift boot.
Thanks
David

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: Carpet trim under console
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
My '70 (Dearborn, Oct '69 build, 4-speed, no console) has the carpet cut out just about the same size as the shifter hole in the floor.  The chrome trim ring covers up the ragged edges of the original carpet... mostly.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:09:15 AM »
Sorry I checked my pictures and had nothing from 67 or 68 with a manual transmission, console and with the console removed but carpet still in
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »
Dumb question are there no assembly manuals for the Cougar that would show this?

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
Well, I don't actually have an interior assembly manual, but there are some printed pages in my big blue mustang/couger mercury intermediate book (or whatever you call it) that show interior assembly for the ford products, and the console install procedure is in there, and shows a console, but 'nada' on showing or describing anything of a plate under the console for a cougar, or a mustang for that mater.
Thought about buying the interior manual, but after reading the posts by the fella who started this question off in the mustang section, sounds like it may not help. :)

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
So I bought the interior assembly manual to hopefully clear this question up.  In the artists rendition it actually looks like there is a trim plate put around the carpet, prior to the console.  On the page showing the console install it has the shifter listed, and refers to Body engineering installation manual.
I did cut my hole precise to fit the shift boot, and it looks ok when in neutral, but when I shift  (3rd and 4th looks worst) the boot pulls enough that you can see the cut hole, and I mean I got that cut out about perfect to that boot.
Also wondering if anyone has any photos, or is Mustang is similar, on how the carpet gets cut/trimmed at the bottom of the quarter trim panels?  Is the panel to go over the carpet, or just enough carpet left to fit in the little indent along the bottom edge of the panel?  The page showing the installation of the panels does not show the carpet in the car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15240.0
Please check out this topic in the 67 mustang section.  Wondering if Cougars would be the same?  Don R @ WCCC says no, carpet just gets cut with a small enough hole to fit in the lower rib on the shift boot.
Thanks
David
The carpet just gets cut with a small enough hole to fit in the lower rib on the shift boot as you were told before. This regardless of if console or not. I have lost count of how many original carpet sets confirmed this observation. Cut it larger then factory  procedure and risk the problem you have seeing the edges of the hole.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby